Environmental Concern

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found this place last year while on vacation in St. Michaels, Md. They are a marsh and wetland organization that supplies info and plants. They also have a monarch butterfly and songbird plant collection. Their nursery unfortunately is closed to retail sales except for spring and fall plant sales. May 11-12 they are open to the public for the spring plant sale and are also having a monarch butterfly seminar. Registration is required, not sure if there is a fee for admission to sale without seminar ticket. They have a huge catalog of wetland plants. I will be going on the 11th and will get photos and info but for anyone who is local for this, check their website www.wetland.org/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! Buy me a bunch! We won't be able to make it..............

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had 3 huge flat of various milkweed growing. I couldn't keep the temperature stable and get them repotted. Then moved what was left outside and 3 nights of frost!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would use them for my wetland restoration/creation projects, if AA county didn’t offer the wetland plants for free from their greenhouse. Have spoken to them in the past for plant prices on large jobs, in case the county didn’t have enough plants in their greenhouse.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Jhn, guessing you're in Maryland. Yes, they deal with large wetland projects. I just want to get some pond and bog plants and enough milkweed and othere plants to have a good feeding area for migrating monarch butterflies

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, I live just north of Annapolis. Been trying to get some milkweed growing around my pond for monarchs, as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is full of swamp milkweed! I have never been able to get seeds.
I will save you some this year, I had a lot of seeds last year. I put them out in the fall. Remind me! lol

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, I went to the plant sale today. Huge disappointment! I had printed out their cataloge of plants and marked the ones I wanted to get. Of the 15 I wanted, they had 3! Very few bog plants, including cattails, lizards tail and pickeral rush. They had 6 swamp milkweed plants- no others. Didn't stop me from buying plants but I had expected the greenhouses to be open. They had 8-10 tables of plants. They said because of the weather, the plants are late this year and if you call, you can make an appointment to buy plants. 2 1/2 hour drive but I hit 2 other nurserys on the way home and got most of the plants I was looking for.

Ask a Question