Esure your pond is adequately oxygenated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As the temperatures both sides of the pond go up and up the more we as pond keepers must keep an eye on our fish not only for parasites and disease but also we must ensure that our ponds are adequately oxygenated, our own water in the pond is currently running at 20.8c even with the shade provided by a parasol
So to do this we can do a couple of things , those wth larger filters can add airstones to the filters we ourselves have three in each filter and six in our bio filter .
Secondly we can add extra airstones to the pond.
Most pond airpumps come with a 12 x tap port on the end not only does this allow you to add the extra airstones but the taps give us that added extra control over the amount of air we pump into our ponds
Those with bottom drain bubblers must ensure there is adequate air coming from their bubblers into the pond.
We also need to heck that the bulb in our UV-C lights are current and in date this will help us keep algae in control with the extra sunlight we are getting
Koi and goldfih also need shade from the sun otherwise they can and do suffer sunburn just like we humans.

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! I started using an air pump last summer. It has a 6-tap adapter, and at first I didn't think I needed THAT many air stones -- I only used 3 in the pond. But now that I have the fish in the 300 gal stock tank and another tote containing 20 or so babies..... Not only am I using every one of those ports, but I am about to "split" one to provide more for the babies as it gets hotter here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the 12 port one with my pond and i am using every one of them .The best investment I made was this .Some of my air stones are on the bottom at 4 ft deep and they send up big amounts of bubbles .I want to get the rubber membrane one instead of air stones .You can see all the nat bubbles on the surface of the pond .My waterfall bubblers I made up work even better than I thought they would .I have an air stone in the lotus pond also

Attachments

• waterfall spitters 002.JPG
    waterfall spitters 002.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 235
  • well and pond 016.JPG
    well and pond 016.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 220

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got a pretty powerful one in my pond w/ 12 air-stones. Hubby bought me some stainless steel bolts to put on the ends above the stones as they were always trying to float upwards. That solved the problem and fish love swimming through the boiling bubbles :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have used airstones in the past with success but the last few years I added a second pump just to my waterfall and disconnected my airstone. I feel that by keeping the water moving and creating rippling movement at the surface this is a good way to introduce O2 into the water and provide for good gas exchange at the water surface, I use oxygenators like hornwort and anacharis in my pond and the amount of tiny bubbles that come from these plants when they get large can be amazing and it is all natural. I think airstones are good but there are other alternatives. The key is to keep the water moving!

Ask a Question