Filter size and pump size for 7000 gallon pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi I am re-doing my backyard pond and it will be around 7000gallons .I have purchased an aquascape 400 skimmer but I am not sure what type of pump and filter to use . The skimmer will be about 30 feet from the the waterfall and have about a 3foot incline to the waterfall.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcomeoj.gif
@mike52

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pictures help tremendously.
Filtration / over filtration is key to any successful pond. First question is this for native fish . Gold fish. Or koi.
There's a huge difference from one to another. Koi are always hungry always pooping. Thus more filtration circulation and turn over is needed.
Turnover is how many times you filter the pond in an hour so for koi and or swimming / rec pond 1.5 to 2 x an hour is recommended. Gold fish can be cut back to 1 to 1.5 times an hour.
Hi I am re-doing my backyard pond and it will be around 7000gallons .I have purchased an aquascape 400 skimmer but I am not sure what type of pump and filter to use . The skimmer will be about 30 feet from the the waterfall and have about a 3foot incline to the waterfall.
Your head is next to nothing, but the 400 is only recomended to 4000 gph and if your pond is 7000 you'll want a pump or multiple pumps to push at least 7000 gph or up to 14000 gph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is a similar size, 6000+, and I have filtration for over 20,000 gallons. I'm a firm believer that it's impossible to have too much filtration. I'm also overstocked, but that has never been a problem with that much filtration.

My advice is to put in as much as you can afford. You won't regret having too much.

Ask a Question