Finally drained - what next

Reaction score
Hello All- I have finally drained my pond, so i can really see what i am working with. First off- i see no evidence of a filter. Also, no tubing, piping (except the white pvc in picture and the waterfall and the copper pipe mentioned below). where do i put the pump/circulator? how do i run the tubing? where should the water line be? what is the purpose of the 'enclosed' area in front of the waterfall?
I did see a small copper pipe that appears to have been cut off, located between the waterfall and the small puddle in one of the pics, on the floor of the pond.
Most of the green is gone now, after being in the sunshine for one day. Advice on my next step?

Attachments

• copper pipe.jpg
    copper pipe.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 280
  • empty.jpg
    empty.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 364
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
I would expect to find a filter. You can make one and put it by the waterfall. The hole by the waterfall is really strange. I can think of three possibilities: they had the pump down there (which makes for very poor water circulation), or it was a planting area like an in-pond bog, or they wanted to provide a deep spot to protect the fish from temperature extremes .

I assume that the cord and hose from the pump went out that white pipe, the hose went to a filter that was between the white pipe and the waterfall. Where does the hole is the waterfall go to?

Reaction score
My first line above was supposed to read, "I wouldn't..."

OK, I wasn't sure of the orientation. That hole is where the outlet pipe from the filter goes in. The filtered water then comes out the waterfall.

I'd love to hear other peoples' guesses as to the intended function of the hole in the pond.

Reaction score
This "enclosed" area ... Could the water come tumbling off the waterfall into a basin (the enclosed area) then the water flows gently into the pond from the basin? Would keep the surface of the pond proper more glasslike for easy fish viewing. (Learned this from waterbug). If the property also had a three car size pond, this could have been a qt/nursery pond.

You can simulate pump flow with a water hose and the spigot turned on low. Maybe stick the hose in that hole in your third photo.

The only idea I have about the copper pipe is maybe air? How big is the pipe?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
copper is really no good for fish by my understanding ,guessing you will be starting fresh now .Interesting pond .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the basin (like shakaho said per waterbug) is for collecting foam (D.O.Cs) and keeping the water surface glass like if :
the basin's inside rock wall is slightly higher than the water line and there are "ports" at the bottom of the basin into the main pond area. if this is the case you could fill that area with rock or any media as a bio filter. the water would flow down thru the stones (media) and enter the main pond area thru the ports.( it shouldnt be too hard to make as such if wanted) if the wall isnt above water line the water will just flow at the top into main pond.
if your unsure of the plumbing configuration simply put a garden hose on the pipes and follow the flow...see where it comes out at the other end. this would help with any further inquiries.

Ask a Question