Fish Identification

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, so this is my first post. My wife and I moved into a house and inherited some koi and goldfish. Unfortunately we’ve had a string of bad luck and lost three to a blue heron, one to our pump going out overnight (it was our oldest and biggest so thinking oxygen problem), and three replacements to a chlorine incident (wife didn’t know to add dechlorinator when I was out of town). No we have one surviving original goldfish and one replacement koi. Wanted to get these guys going before investing in a few more. Lately though I’ve noticed these guys growing in our pond. I’m wondering if before passing some of the other fish had the opportunity to spawn and maybe eggs hatched. Any ideas what they could be?

Attachments

• 6DC440B7-ADD9-4C9F-AEAB-D4039AC09E93.jpeg
    6DC440B7-ADD9-4C9F-AEAB-D4039AC09E93.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 37

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651718387319.gif
@Kwade23
Looks like goldfish, koi or a combination of both as they can breed together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Hi, so this is my first post. My wife and I moved into a house and inherited some koi and goldfish. Unfortunately we’ve had a string of bad luck and lost three to a blue heron, one to our pump going out overnight (it was our oldest and biggest so thinking oxygen problem), and three replacements to a chlorine incident (wife didn’t know to add dechlorinator when I was out of town). No we have one surviving original goldfish and one replacement koi. Wanted to get these guys going before investing in a few more. Lately though I’ve noticed these guys growing in our pond. I’m wondering if before passing some of the other fish had the opportunity to spawn and maybe eggs hatched. Any ideas what they could be?
Pulled one out of my filter yesterday about twice that size, really didn’t expect any new additions, I thought I had eliminated the plants where the newbies hang out in, it’s been four years since any new additions have shown up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess with low fish population at the moment it wouldn’t be a bad idea to let these grow to maturity. Any tips? Do I really need to change anything?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I guess with low fish population at the moment it wouldn’t be a bad idea to let these grow to maturity. Any tips? Do I really need to change anything?
If you are loosing fish to birds you could try some fishing line ( or a net if that doesn’t work ). Other than that, just let the little ones grow up!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wanted to post a follow up. I’ve counted 6 or 7 of these little guys. These are the three biggest that have started developing color.

Attachments

• 220DF000-9E19-4187-BE6E-BCC88868BC71.jpeg
    220DF000-9E19-4187-BE6E-BCC88868BC71.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shrugging shoulders....SMALL?

Ask a Question