Fish-safe, permanent paint?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It's that time of the year again, friends! The deer are eating the water lilies! I sort of feel like it's time to give up. I have some cool, floating, foam lily pads that look very realistic. I've hooked them together with the little plastic thingies they use to put tags on clothing. The shape and way they float makes them look quite real and they provide shelter and shade for the fish. HOWEVER - they are a strange, unnatural green.
The green is dark and there is some nice veining detail. But I would love to do a little sponge painting with a burgundy color to dull it down a little. Then, they would be almost perfect.
Does anyone know of a permanent paint that would accomplish this without harming the fish?
I wonder about Krylon? It bonds to plastic. I could spray some into a paper plate and then dab it on with a sponge.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My self i'd put up a vertical net around the pond and secure it to your home as the opening that way you see straight through to the pond with no net. the deer will give up and go elsewhere

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My self i'd put up a vertical net around the pond and secure it to your home as the opening that way you see straight through to the pond with no net. the deer will give up and go elsewhere
We can't because my husband parks his truck between the house and the pond. I think I'm better off just abandoning the idea of lilies. That seems to be the one thing they find irresistible.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used the Krylon paint on several things in my ponds, pvc, pots, etc. just make sure its dry before putting it in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think a spattering of burgundy on the green would help it look much more natural!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bet the scarecrow for heron would do the job against deer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Can the scarecrow sense motion at night? That is when the little poop heads come and eat. I need to investigate the scarecrow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they sence motion more from heat . i bought a couple of them but they got retired. let me see if i still have them

Ask a Question