Free Comets to Anyone in Northern Utah

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello all, within the next month I plan on pulling all my comets from the big pond and getting rid of them. Some are quite large (10"s or so) while others are babies. I am not sure exactly how many, maybe 20-40 depending on the amount of little ones I find. I am going to make a day of it, drain half the pond pull the comets and put them in a holding tank to get rid of. If there are no taker here Ill put an add in the local classifieds. But I wanted to spread the word here first. It will likely be sometime in mid to late June. I am located in Salt Lake County.

The reason I am getting rid of them is simply because they are too frisky and have too many babies every year. I use to donate the excess to a local pond fish store for resale but they have since gone out of business.

I may have one koi to get rid of to. I am just keeping a handful of my favorite fish. Here are some pictures of them, the ones circled are going and more not pictured
DSCN0082.JPG DSCN0083.JPG DSCN0084.JPG DSCN0085.JPG DSCN0088.JPG DSCN0089.JPG .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had the same problem a few years ago and rehired my shubunkin and comets. I have 4 koi and feel that's my limit, given my pond size.

Every year I hope they won't spawn, or no fry will survive.....but we know how that goes - LOL !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My goal is to get it down to about 9 koi that I love. Eventually I want to dig the pond deeper (current dimensions are 40" deep x 17' wide x 24' long with steps). My plan is to go about 6' deep throughout with one shallow step around the edge. I am doing advance planning now by getting rid off all the fish except a few that I love, so when I do dig it deeper, I have less fish to build a temporary home for. I told myself no digging deeper until the pond was at least 5 years old. The pond turns 6 years old in June :) Ill also be adding a bottom drain with the dig since my back and shoulders aren't getting any younger. Scooping the gunk out of the bottom twice a year can be painful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll love to take them off your hands. I'm in Stansbury Park Tooele UT, I was looking on KSL last night but could not find any. Just dug my pond last year and in the process of adding more fish. My pond is just amazing thanks to this forum.First time posting, i normally just read post. Pls let me know when you ready and I'll gladly come get them. Also good luck on your new dig, no more digging for this guy. Here in Tooele we grow rocks,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll love to take them off your hands. I'm in Stansbury Park Tooele UT, I was looking on KSL last night but could not find any. Just dug my pond last year and in the process of adding more fish. My pond is just amazing thanks to this forum.First time posting, i normally just read post. Pls let me know when you ready and I'll gladly come get them. Also good luck on your new dig, no more digging for this guy. Here in Tooele we grow rocks,

Wonderful! I thought it was a long shot to find someone close on here who could take them. Ill send you a PM when I have them ready to go. We are on in east Midvale just by the Sandy and Cottonwood Heights borders. We have been very lucky in that our dirt is straight sand. When we did the initial dig 6 years ago, we went down 40" and didnt hit one rock or clay. All sand straight down. The west side of the valley and Tooele valley are notoriously rocky though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much pecan I can't wait hopfully when you done with you pond rebuild I can give you some plants. I have quite a few. You don't know how lucky you are to have fairy good soil. All the rocks I used for my waterfall and around the margin of my pond I dug up from the hole. Took me all summer and fall to dig my pond..

Hey Lisak1, thanks for the welcome. Here are a couple of pics, not sure how to post pics on the forum I hope I'm doing it right. The pond is not as nice as the pics I see on the forum, this is my first pond ever so I think I did ok for a ROOKIE !!!

Attachments

• 20160706_113457 garden web1.jpg
    20160706_113457 garden web1.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 20160706_113506 gardenweb 2.jpg
    20160706_113506 gardenweb 2.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Country
United States
This forum saved me tones of money,here is a pic of my filtration system I got from the DIY section cost me bearly nothing. Thanks to the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0036 FILTERS.JPG
    IMG_0036 FILTERS.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 and @FISHY123 Dont start putting me to work quite yet on redigging it LOL I am thinking long term planning. Get rid of excess fish now and redig in like 2-5 years LOL no big jobs for me this year.

Fishy123, thats a great pond. Love your lilies. I think the fish will love it.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fishy you have the best pond ive seen on here (excluding addy of course) !!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fishy you have the best pond ive seen on here (excluding addy of course) !!!!
lol There are a lot of beautiful ponds on here, each has its own beauty. All are different, the only similar thing is a water filled structure!

Ask a Question