Fungus on my koi

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Noticed this fungus on one koi as I was bringing them in. Cold water fungus, what is best treatment? All water chem is good.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8554.JPG
    IMG_8554.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 907

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
IT's on the head and front top body. Where you see no scales is covered with yellowish growth.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Better photo. Now in 24 hours the fungus starting to turn dark color from white or yellowish. It comes off very easily also. What ever this is which I think is cold water fungus came on quick, A week ago I was feeding and looked perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_8560.JPG
    IMG_8560.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 543

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What was the salt to water ratio for a treatment but not for a salt dip. So far I put in 2 tbl for a 5 gal pail.

I think I had this same growth one year when I overwintered the fish. It went away as soon as water warmed up.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What was the salt to water ratio for a treatment but not for a salt dip. So far I put in 2 tbl for a 5 gal pail.

I think I had this same growth one year when I overwintered the fish. It went away as soon as water warmed up.

It is recommended that you start with 1 tbsp/ 5 gallons. I would not go too high with the salt dosage. Instead use a general anti-fungal such as Maracyn.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Based on last photo what do you think it is? It is only on this 1 koi. All other 10 koi and goldfish of different sizes are ok.

As per usual the different online sources give different medicine options.
Thanks

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Based on last photo what do you think it is? It is only on this 1 koi. All other 10 koi and goldfish of different sizes are ok.

As per usual the different online sources give different medicine options.
Thanks

I'd rather not venture a diagnosis based on a photo. That is why I posted the link to the site that discusses the 2 (two) possible diseases--Columnaris and Saprolegnia. You are in a much better position to diagnose this fish and decide the proper treatment.
Sorry.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I find very few photos along with a diagnosis on the web, so unless I start buying books I'm counting on pond forums for experienced advice.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I find very few photos along with a diagnosis on the web, so unless I start buying books I'm counting on pond forums for experienced advice.

OK.
Then let's describe the obvious differences between the 2 (two) diseases. Columnaris is a bacterial disease whose visual symptoms are a cottony growth usually accompanied by fin rot with open lesions sometimes present on advanced cases.
Saprolegnia is a fungal-type disease whose symptoms are also cottony growth usually around the mouth and gills. Because both manifest with a cottony growth it is often difficult to differentiate between the 2 (two) especially if symptoms do not manifest typically.
With limited access that is the best that I can do. It is one of the two diseases.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well it's dead now. It doesn't sound like either one of them. It is not cotton like. I froze a sample for later study if it becomes a problem with the other fish. I scraped it off and couldn't find any ulcer sore etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I missed this wayne my what a sad state this guy gothimself/herself into .
You should have gone through the older cases of fungal infections espeially the one with @Andy41which wasa rather in depth case .
For future referance you could have anethatized your koi then removed the fungal growth by hand "with cotton wool fungus" , then treated any wounds with a dab of malachite then sprayed propolis over the Malachichite .
However there has to be a reason for this fungal infection my friend but its a question of tracking down the why I'm affraid.
What are your water perameters ?

Dave

Ask a Question