Grass Killer

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We have just converted the edging around our flower beds to a natural edge. There is now a span of about 5 to 6 inches of mulch (ntural zone) between the grass and the bed. I was advised to keep a grass killer sprayed in that mulch neutral zone to avoid pesky grass sprouts without harming either the lawn nor bed plantings. My first thought is to use a carefully sprayed type of long lasting Round Up.

Please provide your thoughts and opinions.
Louis

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
White vinegar works great on hot sunny days for killing weeds and grass. Don't get it near your plants or it will kill them also. You would have to take the same precautions w/ round-up also but vinegar is much more environmentally friendly. Vinegar is much cheaper also. I buy it at Costco in the big jugs.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lou seems like if you spray too close to the edge of your grass you want to keep green the vinegar or the round up will turn it yellow.

Preen was made to prevent seeds from sprouting but don't think it will kill the actual grass or weeds already in growth. Not sure if it is good for the birds or other critters tho. You'll have to check that out or maybe someone will pop up w/ some advice on that one.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We have just converted the edging around our flower beds to a natural edge. There is now a span of about 5 to 6 inches of mulch (ntural zone) between the grass and the bed. I was advised to keep a grass killer sprayed in that mulch neutral zone to avoid pesky grass sprouts without harming either the lawn nor bed plantings. My first thought is to use a carefully sprayed type of long lasting Round Up.

Please provide your thoughts and opinions.
Louis

Why not simply use landscape fabric and avoid herbicides altogether? Cover with black cedar mulch, anything that grows in the mulch is easy to pull out as the roots can't get into the soil below due to the presence of the fabric. Don't use plastic!

Haven't been around for a long while, it's been an extremely busy season so far.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with jw - vinegar in a spray bottle. And if you keep the area well mulched, the grass that creeps in (and it will creep in) is easy to pull out. I clean up my bedding edges once each spring and fall - no biggie.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can do a test w/ the vinegar and see if that is going to be good for your liking. It will yellow the lawn where you squirt it so if you want a nice green edge next to your mulch that ain't gonna happen. It's better for area's in the mulch away from the grass edge. I think if you want a nice straight edge w/o any border material you are gonna have to chop the grass edges that invade w/ a spade.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
You can do a test w/ the vinegar and see if that is going to be good for your liking. It will yellow the lawn where you squirt it so if you want a nice green edge next to your mulch that ain't gonna happen. It's better for area's in the mulch away from the grass edge. I think if you want a nice straight edge w/o any border material you are gonna have to chop the grass edges that invade w/ a spade.

You are soo correct my friend. Grass killer is a terrible edger. The weekly straight down weed eater trim along the edges does a great job. I've decided to close up spot shot the killer on grass sprouts.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It went wherever mine went too Lou and now it's up to 81 and was a hot walk out there. Came home dripping.

Ask a Question