Grows Above Water on Vertical EDPM

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Yes, you read it correctly. I'm looking for any type of plant that will grow above water on vertical EDPM. This EDPM shows itself above the water line on the high side of our pond. I have several ideas but thought I would ask this crazy question. The bottom of this ledge is sloped so building a stone wall is very material intensive.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What about Rock on a roll to cover the liner? You could always plant some type of vine above the liner and let it drape into the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would suggest the same - think grow down, rather than grow up. Although you may have trouble if the liner gets too hot - some plants may object to being heated from underneath. If there is a ledge, could you plant grasses or reeds to camouflage the edge?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There is no ledge build in under the water. I have an idea for creating one using rust proof steel brackets that would fit under the stone on top of the liner, extending under the water. A flat long base (like a board) would rest atop the brackets thus creating a shelf. Only a thought now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's an idea that just might work. I know others have done milk crates underwater to create "shelves" for plants, but that would require a flat bottom I would imagine. What about anchoring floating planters in front of the area you are trying to camouflage?

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, I bought some type of material like a pool noodle (used to insulate the a/c tubing) from the hard ware store (I saw they also have something used for filling cracks, its grey on a roll, again same pool noodle feel to it - but very thin like 1/4 inch pool noodle), anyways, I bought the stuff, cut it into long strips and just corralled a bunch of floating plants in front of my problem area (I used water hyacinth). I used rocks to anchor the edges so they will stay in place. Of course the fish started eating the roots, so I found some very light netting and just sewed the net to these grey 'pool noodles' and so far its working great. The baby fish get in there, but the large ones can't eat the roots.

I was trying to find the product on Amazon to attach the picture, my description sounds a bit weird. If you're interested I can take a picture next time I'm at the hardware store.

Its nice because you can make it as long as you want to hide the problem.

Priscilla

Reaction score
Can you not just fix he pond edge so the liner doesn't show above the water line?

full

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Technically it is possible but since I can no longer do it myself the cost is high especially given the liner runs in front of two trees. Yours was my first idea. That area should have been configured with a shelf from the beginning. Looking back I can only assume I was in too much of a hurry when rebuilding that side.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Big Lou,

Couldn't you just apply some pond sealant foam? Spray it on the EPDM liner that is exposed and then stick rocks and pebbles and small chunks of broken rocks into the foam to make it look like a coarse rock riverbed shoreline? That would hide your liner and would be very easy to apply. Not sure how it would appear aesthetically without seeing the total area, dimensions and the angles of the exposed liner.

Or, how about hanging some media down the side by cords and treating it to get a large bed of moss or lichen to grow?

Just a thought anyway.

Gordy

Reaction score
Technically it is possible but since I can no longer do it myself the cost is high especially given the liner runs in front of two trees. Yours was my first idea. That area should have been configured with a shelf from the beginning. Looking back I can only assume I was in too much of a hurry when rebuilding that side.

Thank you.
I've seen pictures of your pond and it looks very nicely landscaped except I could see the exposed liner, that was the first thing that jumped into my mind, and probably one of the biggest distractions I personally have with many home built ponds, that liner so often gets left exposed along the shoreline. Having exposed liner just below the water surface isn't usually such a distraction because it quickly grows algae on the liners and it kind of just disappears, but above the water line it looks like, and stays looking like, a rubber inner tube and just seems so out of place with what is otherwise quite often very beautiful surroundings.
It seems anything that you do is going to require getting down there and physically making changes. If you are unable to do that yourself then maybe you could hire someone to do it for you. It really wouldn't take very long to drain your pond down a few inches, move the rocks you already have there back out of the way, lift up the liner along the shore and dig out under it a bit just below the normal water level. then lay the liner back down and replace the rocks on top of the liner and fold and hide it, then push the dirt back against the outside of the liner. The whole job could probably be done in a couple hours
Hire some young kid to do it for you while you supervise.

Ask a Question