Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
My name is Marshall and I currently have two ponds. The main purpose of building my ponds was in order to have a natural environment for my turtles and some koi so I do try and design the pond so it is attractive but, some elements have to be included to protect the animals such as a fence and tunneling barrier plus an overhead web to deter hawks etc. As I said I have two ponds, one is 950 gallons and homes my turtles and koi. The second pond is 230 gallons and is going to be used for goldfish but I am still constructing it. The large pond is enclosed by a fence that protects my turtles which are a male and a female red eared slider, a African sideneck and 2 painted turtles both males. The interior of the enclosure is about 20 by 30 feet and the pond takes up 15 by 10 feet of that and is 3.2 feet deep at the deepest point. I built the ponds by myself so it took about 25 days and I also do the maintenance alone. Although I have some experience raising turtles this is my first try with an outdoor pond as well as my first experience raising fish. So far my only trouble has been learning to deal with the clarity of the water due to algae and other debris/waste. At one point the visibility in the pond was less that 3 inches but now using a uv filter and a bio filter I designed the water has cleared up to perfectly seeing to the bottom and has remained that way so far. Again thank you for allowing me to join the forum.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, Marshall [we have a cat named Marshall :)]

As @Lisak1 mentioned, I have turtles, but mine are box turtles so are non-aquatic. But, my entire ponding experience DID come about because of my boxies :) They have a really nice outdoor habitat, but I was getting tired of constantly cleaning & filling their water bowl [they only need a few inches of water to soak in and poop in....]. I'm sure you know how messy turtles are. So, my idea of a small, several hundred gallons of filtered "watering hole," has turned into a 3000 gal. pond! It's gone through several revisions, which I won't go into, but they now have their own "bog" pool, and the water flows through the that as part of the pond filtration system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Strangely my birth families name is Marshall welcome to the forum @Mmathis is Turtle Mommy so your under a good wing there Marshall theres not that much she doesnt know about them.
If its questions about koi health issues Val and I answer alot of questions as koi have been our passion for 28 years

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and hope you can post pics of all your hard work and your friends that are enjoying all that hard work

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, Marshall [we have a cat named Marshall :)]

As @Lisak1 mentioned, I have turtles, but mine are box turtles so are non-aquatic. But, my entire ponding experience DID come about because of my boxies :) They have a really nice outdoor habitat, but I was getting tired of constantly cleaning & filling their water bowl [they only need a few inches of water to soak in and poop in....]. I'm sure you know how messy turtles are. So, my idea of a small, several hundred gallons of filtered "watering hole," has turned into a 3000 gal. pond! It's gone through several revisions, which I won't go into, but they now have their own "bog" pool, and the water flows through the that as part of the pond filtration system.
Cool, I have three red eared sliders which are semi-aquatic and one tortoise which lives on land. They all stay in the same enclosure because the block barrier around the pond is about 22 feet by 35 feet and the pond only takes up about 10 feet by fifteen feet of the space so there is plenty of room for the tortoise. I ocassionaly find southern box turtles on the highway and rescue them and let them stay in the enclosure for a couple days to feed them and make sure are not injured. Anyway thanks for the welcome reply and I look forward to talking about turtles in the future. :D

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Cool, I have three red eared sliders which are semi-aquatic and one tortoise which lives on land. They all stay in the same enclosure because the block barrier around the pond is about 22 feet by 35 feet and the pond only takes up about 10 feet by fifteen feet of the space so there is plenty of room for the tortoise. I ocassionaly find southern box turtles on the highway and rescue them and let them stay in the enclosure for a couple days to feed them and make sure are not injured. Anyway thanks for the welcome reply and I look forward to talking about turtles in the future. :D

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 270

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Welcome and hope you can post pics of all your hard work and your friends that are enjoying all that hard work
Thanks and here is a picture of the turtles pond.

Attachments

• 11825579_925102040859348_8886901707483662215_n.jpg
    11825579_925102040859348_8886901707483662215_n.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 210

Ask a Question