Hello Everyone!!!

Reaction score
My name is Eric and I guess I bypass the intro and went straight into another topic posting my threat!!! Everyone has been great so far giving great advice on how to redo my pond; many thanks thanks thanks!!!! I initially built a Koi pond, around 1800 gal with different shelves to put plants. Everything was going great for about 10 months and then one day I walked into my back yard with half the pond empty. Found out that the pump hose from the skimmer box got detached and the pump was churning up a bunch of water out of the skimmer box and somehow found its way underneath the liner causing it to float. Poor Koi and Comet fishes had to be relocated to a aquarium....Anyways, the only way I could have gotten the water out was puncturing a hole in the liner :(...but it had to be done b/c liner was concreted in. So during that time, I decided to redo the waterfall features (avatar pic is how it looked like before); also attached progress so far. I'm so excited a find a forum that is current and many members are active, I hope to share my experiences and also learn from others at the same time.

IMG_20141025_175129.jpg
IMG_20141025_175144.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Eric did the centre of the pond raise up yes ?
It may not be a leak it may be the water table has come up under the bottom of your pond and is causing this to happen .
So my next question of you is obviously have you had any heavy rain of late ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Eric did the centre of the pond raise up yes ?
It may not be a leak it may be the water table has come up under the bottom of your pond and is causing this to happen .
So my next question of you is obviously have you had any heavy rain of late ?

Dave

Hi Dave, it was really not a leak. I have a skimmer box (concreted in the edge) where i place my submersible pump and I think the hose connecting the pump got detached so the water inside was splashing vigorously for the entire day. On the side of the skimmer box there is a hole on each side (toward the top) used to feed out the hose so I assume that the splashing of the water went out through there and on the side of the skimmer box and then under liner. Because I had a full pond (water) the day prior and when I came home, 1/3 of the pond water was gone (no rain whatsoever the few days before and the day of) so I automatically assume that the water went underneath the liner. The past is behind me now and I'm just looking forward to finish up my current project which is taking longer than expected.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Evidence of water behind a liner will show itself as a "hippo" (liner lifts and looks like a waterbed). Simple, cut a small slit in the liner above the water line. Push your garden hose as far down behind the liner as you're able. Turn on the water, let it run until you're certain that there's water coming out of the end of the hose (behind the liner). Without turning off the water, crimp the garden hose. Detach the garden hose from the water supply tap. Lie the hose out flat. The water that's trapped under the liner will be siphoned out.

Might take a few hours, but it's a sure-fire way to get rid of any water that's trapped between the liner and the pond hole.

Ask a Question