hello from Oahu

Reaction score
hi all
I bought a house a few years ago that had a above ground pond that is at the top of the property. The property is terrace as I am at the bottom of a ridge line going up the mountain. The pond was fine for a few years had many different types of fish in it and lotus that would bloom May, June and a few water lily's. I didn't do much with this pond as I was busy working on the house a fixer upper, This season I noticed that the water didn't look as clear and the leaves of the lily's didn't look a healthy.
I also didn't see the fish meaning the variety, lots of mosquito fish but that's all. So I decided that it was time to clean it out. The size of this pond is about 96" x 86" the depth I am guessing about 30" also there is no filter system just what I assume was a good balance of plants and fish. The construction is block and not sure yet how the interior was made I have never seen a leakage or cracks in what is visible. here is were I am at. I put a siphon hose in and drained the water to the muck level (about 12" down from the top) I started to remove the muck via five gallon bucket, at about 15 to 16" down I came across a four inch drain cap. At this point I am still not sure were the bottom is but here is were my question starts, I noticed below this drain cap level that soil typical of my property is evident not muck my soil is red in color. Is it possible that when this pond was built that after the constructed the shell it was filled it in with a layer of dirt. I am not familiar with pond construction and since I am cleaning it I would hate to remove all this dirt if only the muck need removal.
Thanks for any advise you can share
Bill

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought your screen name was Pikake and immediately was homesick. I am from Big Island but live on the Gulf Coast now. Where in Oahu are you? I used to live Kailua side.
Anyway pictures are always really helpful. I inherited a pond as well that had about a foot of sand in it. Not sure why but I completely cleaned it out and started over. It sounds like you may have to do the same. And depending on where on Oahu, get plenty tradewinds that may have blown in dirt over the years, (gotta love the red dirt).
Anyway welcome to the forum!!

Reaction score
Hi tbendl
I live back Kalihi valley, I was talking to a friend from the big island after I posted he told me the dirt might have been for the lotus , this property used to be a Lao Buddhist Temple. and they might have drained the pond to harvest the lotus roots

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, but sorry that I can't help with your pond issue. It may be that your friend is correct about the lotus roots, though, as that sounds reasonable. Wow, I would love to know the history of your pond!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm I've never heard of that. In all the reading that I've done, depending on the type of pond you want, most recommendations are going to be to clear all the muck out. If you want fish or just plants, you'll need to get rid of all the decaying debris in there.
I can't wait to see some pictures. Hope your friend isn't in the Pahoa area, lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bill
I'd remove all the dirt on the bottom if you are going to want fish in there. You won't be able to tell the dirt from the gunk if you leave it like that and it will go bad for the fish health-wise.

Ask a Question