Help: Big red Spots / Sores on side of fish?

Reaction score
Just a thought here. The ulcers could be a secondary infection. Could this be KHV? Resistant to the anitbiotics. Spreading to more than 1 fish. Sunken eyes from dehydration is a sign. The only way to find out with this disease is to have it scoped.

Reaction score
Mrshkoiluver said:
Just a thought here. The ulcers could be a secondary infection. Could this be KHV? Resistant to the anitbiotics. Spreading to more than 1 fish. Sunken eyes from dehydration is a sign. The only way to find out with this disease is to have it scoped.

I think you could be on the right track here, but the eyes are not sunken, but yes I think what we are seeing is a secondary infection, caused by another under lying condition. One last thing I have another fish that is different it seems not to be able to control its direction very well and if it tries to swim fast it just spins, this fish is feeding ok and seems quite a happy little chappy and is growing, it has no signs of any other problems.
Thank you again for all of your input, any ideas please let me know.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
It's a possibility. The only way to find out is to ship 'em to the likes of the University of Florida to have them check the fish out.

I live in the UK so shipping em to Florida isnt really an option, but here ia the profile of the pond, just in case I missed out anything.

The pound is quite small and has about 450 gallons in it,the water has been tested on a regaular basis for Nitrite and Nitrates and has always according to my test kit and the local shops test is always perfect.I dont have any numbers for this as the tests depend on colour to confirm the content of both nitrate and nitrite as I said above always spot on. I am using a Nexus pod system, I usually do a flush to clean once a month as the pod is somewhat over kill for the pond and once again the water is always spot on and my maxim in life is " If it isnt broke then dont fix it".
There is no other wild life in the pond, we did have a frog some months ago.
I have only five fish left now, one has some eairly symptoms.
My garden is a mess, I have resisted treating the lawn just in case. The pond has a few bushes and trees around it but I keep any green debris off the pond, I use a net to remove all debris.
At the beging of the year I had some pond weed that responded to salt, it did leave some traces around the side of the pond, but I was informed that it was harmless.I keep the bottom of the pond reasonably clean with a pound vacum.

I have used several medications but always exactly as prescribed and I have never mixed them.

All medication has been by NT Labs including the test kit.

I have used:- NT Labs Folmaldehide & Malacite (this is the only two that I have used in conjunction with each other on the advice of my supplier). NT Labs EX-5 and a Nt Labs Anti bacteria treatment.
The salt content was 0.3%
The last fish was added 3 months ago.
The water temp is now around 15 degrees.

I have been as acurate as possible with these answers, thank you all very much indeed for your help.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
it could have been the last fish you added perhaps ? just an idea ... i use the nt labs test kit too if you look on the box next to the colour there is a number thats the reading

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry didn't realize you were in the UK. Do contact the British Veterinary Association in London and I'm sure they will advise you on what to do and where to send the fish. Do put the fish in an air tight bag and freeze it if you could.

General enquiries
Tel: 020 7636 6541
Fax: 020 7908 6349
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I had this problem a couple years back, tried many treatments, kept getting told it was bacterial, in the end took the fish to be scrape tested and put under microscope! Turned out it was a parasite and these were secondary infections! Treated the fish in a hospital tank as the pond was to cold to repsond to the treatment, and worked a treat! Lost a few fish though before I got to the bottom of it!

My water was also showing as perfect!

Ask a Question