Help! Coopers Hawk tried to get one of our dogs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you think he is stalking your fish .The movement attracted him maybe .I know owls around here go for movement .I saw one swoop down and grab a baby bunny .That is the main reason I was so upset when king arthur passed away he was my chihuahuas protector .He would always go into the back yard first and the chi.'s would wait for him to give the all clear .I never worried when he was around .Now I worry all the time .I have seen a few foxes lately

The first time I saw him he perched in the willow over the pond and I thought either the fish or the small birds who always gather around the pond is what sparked his interest. I did not think it would try and go after the dogs as the Cooper's hawk isn't a very big hawk.

But now that this happened I searched youtube and found a lot of videos of small hawks attacking dogs. Even dogs as big as Labradors.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons of hawks, they love the critters our pond brings into the yard. My pup is never off leash.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Pecan, you have 10lb dogs and hawks, I have 120 lb dogs and cougars.
Our domesticated pets are no match for local wildlife that needs to hunt to survive.
It's up to us to protect our pets - and I don't mean to kill the local wildlife as we see fit.
Our pets just cannot run free as we would like. Leashes and/or caged pens are the only solution.
It's not ideal, but at least it keeps our pets safe.

Ask a Question