HEY...heres another basement pond video from koiguy!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I DONT KNOW...Probably wait for spring.
can anyone tell me why the video gets so dark once the camera breaks the waters surface? its a point and shoot. manual mentions no adjustments in video mode.

Reaction score
Cant help on the video issue, but it views fine:)

I was thinking of trying to place some babies now, but without draining the pond, it will be nearly impossible to catch them ... Cant decide if ours will stay out or come in. They grew a lot in the short time they have been outside, and even though hubby built more filtration (really, just improvements), I am nervous of bringing them in. When they were moved outside, we were just hitting the tipping point on their growth. Without water changes, we were starting to see low ammonia readings ... by low, it was only the .25 area at the worst, but enough to make me nervous ... water change, and reduced feedings, and it stabilized, but that was an uncomfortable place to be.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
capewind...i'm gonna do 55 gal waterchanges every 3-4 days. i run my biofilter, and i run seperate zeolite filters. zeolite does one thing. it absorbs ammonia. and is easily rejuvenated with a 24+ hour salt bath. my skimmer is loaded with a fine mesh net for debris, eggcrate foam for fines, then zeolite.its in a mesh bag. i have 2 mesh bags that i swap out every week. a couple gals of water and a cup of salt. 40# bag of solar salt is $5.00 at Lowes. salt bath and rinse. i'm gonna set up a zeolite bucket on the floor of pond with a small pump as well. same setup as skimmer.

Reaction score
I had to look up what the zerolite was and then felt really dumb LOL ... Ammochips duh LOL. I am familar with those. How many pounds do you think you are using in the two bags? The inside pond they would go into is about the same size as yours, but I think your filtration set up may be better. We finally got a couple of 55 gallon barrels, but hubby hasnt had the time to set those up yet.

Will describe what is CURRENTLY running, can you tell me what else we may need to do to handle the load. Hubby has told me what he wants to add, but sometimes he loses me in his explaination, or budget is an issue, and I dont want to hear it ...

1. Main filter ... I dont know what to call it .. it will be switched to a 55 gallon barrel ... currently it is a 35 gallon trash barrel (doubled) ... hubby says all it basically is, is a solids seperator. It sort of makes me think of a skippy filter ... it is plumbed via 3" pvc with a syphon feed ... what I remember of it apart is the pump sits mid height, and has the big floor buffing pads as media ... included in all the same plumbing is a venturi and protein skimmer (think in ponds it's called an air fractionator???) ... Pump is 2150 gph ... water is removed from the pond, into this filter, then back to the pond... The venturi and protein skimmer are newer (added just before the fish went outside).

2. These two items are plumbed in line ... an old Laguna Canister filter with built in UV ,,, It's a Clearflo 1400 (supposedly rated for a 1400 gallon pond), 900 gph ... then to an old wet/dry trickle filter from our reef tank ... water runs over two plates, onto two rolls of course media (above water level), to a sump and returns to the pond .. there is what I call a venturi there too, but hubby keeps telling me I am wrong to call it that LOL. I dont understand. Something about it has the ability to drain more water than is being pumped in, so sucks air into the water ...

NOT on the pond at present, but WAS on the pond when the fish were moved outside, was also a Fluval FX5 canister filter, 925 gph...

Of the 100 babies, most (mix of standard fins and butterfly) are right about 6". The monster of the group is a solid 9" thick bodied standard fin, and there are maybe 10 runts who are just coming off of the 3" range ...

I did put ammochips in a couple times, but never rinsed/recharged them, so thinking they didnt do much other than sit there, otherwise, no benefit of the zeolite, no carbon, etc. Water changes varied ... on the average, I would say 70 gallons got swapped out about every 2 weeks ... water was removed via the filter backflows, and two 35 gallon barrels of dechorinated water added back,,, Fish were also heavily fed (about 2 cups per day, 1 cup AM and PM) til we started hitting the tipping point, and then cut way back til they were moved outside ...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I dont buy name brands like ammo chips...expensive. buy in bulk...cheap! http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LBS-Zeol...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d400ff940

you can run them on a small pump pushing or pulling the water thru. i run a 256 gph pump on my skimmer with it now. (about 1/2 gallon in volume of zeolite) in a 3&1/2 gallon, DIY trash can skimmer. but plan to build a bigger skimmer soon. so i can increase the zeolite volume.

Reaction score
Oh wow is that cheap! I never looked at bulk, as buying 20 lbs at a time for a few fish tanks would be overkill ... When I had put some into the QT, I put it in kneehighs (ladies nylons) and put them in the left side of the wet/dry ... I think that would work in the same manner you are talking about. Attached a pic of the wet/dry ... and the wet/dry would probably work better if we put a better media in it.

Attachments

• DSCN7195.JPG
    DSCN7195.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 303

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THEY TELL YOU TO "JUST REPLACE IT" AS NECCESSARY. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN SOAK IT IN A STRONG SALT WATER SOLUTION AND REJUVENATE IT!!

Reaction score
The ammochip container DOES give instructions of how to recharge it, but to be honest, when you are only using a few tablespoons in a fish tank once in awhile. why bother? Now in a pond, I can see why one would want to as quanity makes a huge difference.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
about your wet / dry.... a simple layer of the "batting" over lava rock or clean pea gravel would enhance its performance!! its basically a 2 chamber tricle tower... that rolled media is kind of a waste of its potential

Reaction score
Dont have any lava rock ... the ON HAND options would be bioballs, cut up pvc and pex, deer net type fabrics (some has really small holes) or the media that was stuffed in it. I get confused between the bacterias that can live UNDER the water, verses being out of the water but wet, with air easily available AND adjusting the flow rates via nitrate testing ...If money was no option (and it is), I am clueless as to what is the best media to use LOL. On information overload with all of it just mixed up in my head LOL ...

Ask a Question