Hi everyone! My two water gardens

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It has been a LONG time since I have posted on this forum, but in that time I have acquired two container ponds to gloat about :) First is my red storage tub with water lettuce, hornwort, a water lily (forget the type), a swamp butterflyweed (gearing up to bloom no less) and two black paradise fish (not pictured) that spawned today or yesterday (just noticed the eggs and bubblenest today);
Photo06180910_1.jpg

Photo06180910_2.jpg

Photo06180911.jpg

My other water garden is in a large resin half barrel with two common paradise fish (not necessarily a pair) and much the same plants, exceptions being a perry's baby red water lily and a black magic taro (which, alas, isn't doing crazy well);
Photo06180909.jpg

Any thoughts on my water gardens? Thanks for viewing!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
anything works as long as you enjoy it .Black magic taro does not really like soaking wet feet .It likes just moist soil and fertilizer

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
AHHH!!! That's why it's not doing so hot. Any suggestions for a replacement?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could pull it farther out of the water .But plants in ponds get fertilizer from the fish .I have black magic growing and it does need fertilized every 2 months
100_4001.JPG
100_4003.JPG
these are a mixture of different kinds and have intermingled with each other

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The hardware cloth is both anti predator and anti jumping...both paradise fish species I have are good jumpers. The first picture is a common paradise fish (in theory hardy to at least 50 degrees, but in my experience hardier) and the second is a black paradise fish (hardy to at least 59 degrees...unsure of their lower limit). Both are gouramies related to Bettas.
thSXKW8SWC.jpg

black-paradise-fish[1].jpg

Last edited:

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
If you wanna lose the small bricks on the top you could try folding down the sides I've outlined in red & thread a small wire through the top (blue highlight) just below the lip of the pots to run around the top to hold them in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 202

Ask a Question