High Nitrite levels but everything else is great!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you were having issues with either elevated Ammonia or Nitrite levels one of the first symptoms that would be evident would be the fish 'Piping' at the water's surface gulping air, since both Ammonia and Nitrite affects Oxygen transfer in the gills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you were having issues with either elevated Ammonia or Nitrite levels one of the first symptoms that would be evident would be the fish 'Piping' at the water's surface gulping air, since both Ammonia and Nitrite affects Oxygen transfer in the gills.

Thank you! I am learning so much from you expert ponders! They definitely aren't "piping" so I'm gonna guess my Nitrite test is wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
It might be worthwhile to take a sample to an aquarist, fish shop or pet store and have a confirmation test done. Even the best of us can accidentally cross-contaminate or use the wrong reagents or skip a line on the instructions. Since the fish don't seem to be in distress, you don't want to break something by fixing something that isn't broken.

Ask a Question