Holy Lillies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Not all water lilies have the same growing habit, any place between tiny to gigantic in size, very sedate and terribly uncouth in spreading habit

The medium to large growing varieties are usually more suitable for lakes rather than ornamental ponds, no surprise in spring there is the chorus of folk offering the more unruly brutes cheap, or free, lol

It is a wheeze by pond contractors to offload free or cheap plants unsuitable for ponds, anticipating whopping billing to clear choked ponds out in the future

Well chosen waterlilies do not have to be a liability...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.co...s/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lilies seem like they can take abuse. I watched a youtube video on how to divide and repot them. They just shoved a sharp hand shovel into the tuber to split it in half stuck them in new pots (as long as the tip is above the dirt) and your good to go. I followed their instructions and even with my small year old lilies it was hard work and I am sure they will do fine with the abuse. I can't imagine letting them go for 8 years... John be careful in there! Have you ever seen Little Shop of Horrors? Feed Me Siemor!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing pecan, the lilies I shared were just all so pretty, well controlled in oil pans. Yep just pull them apart, cut with knife etc. I most likely will leave mine alone for two seasons this time. I groomed them all hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The water garden installer near us plants every plant in the pond bare with just rocks weighting it down. They use 1-2" river rock, not pea gravel, and that's what they recommend to all of their customers, and who they install ponds for. They have 3 koi ponds on their property outside the store and they are absolutely beautiful. They don't seem to be over run with the lilies. My lilies are in pots right now with lava rocks because where they are is just temporary. I was planning to permanently place them at the bottom of my new pond where the depth is going to be around 30" weighted with rocks and just let them be. If I trim them each spring wouldn't that prevent them from overgrowing and covering the whole pond? Maybe the next time I'm at Woodland Water Gardens I will ask them how they keep theirs under control. Their ponds are completely covered with rocks even on the bottom.

But speaking of my lilies, since I repotted them they haven't sent up a single new leaf, when will they start to actively grow again after disturbing them and cutting back their roots?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine were cut and repotted mid last week, they now have leaves and buds touching the surface of the water (24 inches or so) I have mine in kitty litter in oil pans. The pond water is in the high 60's. Growing like crazy!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can keep them closer to the surface of the water w/ more sunlight till they get more lily stems for awhile and then lower them down deeper as the stems grow if you want faster growth.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can keep them closer to the surface of the water w/ more sunlight till they get more lily stems for awhile and then lower them down deeper as the stems grow if you want faster growth.

More sunlight and warmer water, gets them going good

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Most water lilies prefer 18 to 24 inches of water (over the pot), although many will adapt to 3 to 4 feet. a few can be grown at 5', but that's about the limit. If your pond is deeper, try spatterdock (nuphar spp.) These have golf-ball sized yellow flowers, oval (rather than round) light green leaves, and grow in water up to 10' deep.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I wanted to plant lilies in a bath tub would it be feasible to just weigh them down in a bare bottom tub and add fertilizer to the water? And would it hurt a few little goldfish to be added to that water w/ fertilizer in it to keep the mosquito's away? I thought of using kitty litter on the tub bottom to plant them in but after awhile that might end up too gross for the fish or would it? I think I'd have to have a filter in there w/ that idea. I know I could put them in pots but just trying to avoid the mess of cutting and separating from the soil mixture and gravel that you cover the soil or litter with.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I think it's worth a try, j.w. As long as the tuber can't float up or twist around, it should be OK. Experimenting is a big part of this hobby, after all!
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I wanted to plant lilies in a bath tub would it be feasible to just weigh them down in a bare bottom tub and add fertilizer to the water? And would it hurt a few little goldfish to be added to that water w/ fertilizer in it to keep the mosquito's away? I thought of using kitty litter on the tub bottom to plant them in but after awhile that might end up too gross for the fish or would it? I think I'd have to have a filter in there w/ that idea. I know I could put them in pots but just trying to avoid the mess of cutting and separating from the soil mixture and gravel that you cover the soil or litter with.

JW I don't cover the clay with anything (no koi) no gravel or little rocks, it does fine without covering. Just lower it slowly into the water letting it slowly get wet. When I mess with them I just pull them out, take the garden hose and squirt the clay off the roots

Ask a Question