How do skimmers work when adding plants?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have a skimmer and feel no need for one .I just have the top pond water agitated to increase aeration and with the aerator i think that is what keeps my pond water clear .I have been reading a lot about air in the water and seems the more you have the better the water is .Since this pond is new as of last year i really thought i was going to have problems keeping the water from going green ,but nope .In the spring I had a little green but as soon as the plants went in and the aerator got hooked back up it cleared up .I think my pond looks better than it ever has .Plus I now faithfully add a cup of koi clay to the pond every 2 weeks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never used hoops, lines or anchors. Once in a while I find a water hyacinth or two in the skimmer if strong winds or fish movement has dislodge them. When that happens I usually just take them out of the skimmer and throw them in a part of the pond where they are less likely to get dislodged and drift around the pond. Problem solved with no strings attached. ;)

What do they "lodge" on in your pond?

Reaction score
What do they "lodge" on in your pond?
In between plants logs and rocks. In between rock close to shore they tend to anchor their roots and stay put.
hycinthshore-jpg.84943

dscf1204-jpg.84942

Ask a Question