how do you control pests in garden?

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
I have different kinds of plants and trees around the pond .Chemical Pesticides & Herbicide use can affect pond Fishes & plants in much the same way as fertilizers .I use organic fertilizer and pesticide to control pest insects fungus etc...in my garden and pond's area,
is it harmful for fishes and water plants?
do I need to spray water plants at same time?
which npk ratio is sweet able for water plants ?
full

full

Natural predators always have party under lights and between leaves
full

all replies are appreciable

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do not use any pesticide, organic or chemical, in or around a pond. Organic does not translate into being safe. The product is formulated to KILL and at certain levels will be toxic to any living organism.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Do not use any pesticide, organic or chemical, in or around a pond. Organic does not translate into being safe. The product is formulated to KILL and at certain levels will be toxic to any living organism.

100% agree. I've used nematodes, you can purchase ladybugs, praying mantis, Lacewings, earwigs etc. Its too late to get biological pest control in many regions because its too hot to ship them. I think you can probably still get nematodes as they come in a dry powder form. As to the effectiveness, its not a all in one solution. there is also something called "Trap" crops where you plant a crop, plants in our case, to attract pests from the ones you want to protect. Rosemary, Basil and other herbs can repel some pests and as far as the weeds, you just got to pull them by hand.

EDIT
You can always check the MSDS of an ingredient; Martine, according to the MSDS has these precautions:
Environmental precautions Do not let product enter drains

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Toxicity no data available
Persistence and degradability no data available
Bioaccumulative potential no data available
Mobility in soil no data available
PBT and vPvB assessment no data available
Other adverse effects no data available

meaning even the manufacture has not tested it for environmental concerns. :\

I forgot to mention you can plant plants that attract beneficial insects. For example, There are some tiny parasitoid wasps that you want in your garden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Skeeter dunks and citronella torches is all I use. Just got a battery operated recharable redneck entertainer ask bug zapper

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In my garden I dug down and drilled hole in a 4 inch drain pipe and put it in the ground and put some 20 mule teem borax and some epsom salts and fertilizer .But around my pond nothing

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
wow I learned many good tips .my house located between paddy fields and citrus gardens , when farmers spray their farms all pests running to my garden . aphids ,field thrips ,Papilio demodocus etc... , all trees affected except for the water plants .

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
I've used nematodes, you can purchase ladybugs, praying mantis, Lacewings, earwigs etc. Its too late to get biological pest control in many regions because its too hot to ship them. I think you can probably still get nematodes as they come in a dry powder form. As to the effectiveness, its not a all in one solution.
Thank you @IPA , helpful advises..

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
In my garden I dug down and drilled hole in a 4 inch drain pipe and put it in the ground and put some 20 mule teem borax and some epsom salts and fertilizer
@sissy do you have any idea for leaves ?

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Skeeter dunks and citronella torches is all I use
it seems your solution is more safe for garden .unfortunately it's very difficult to access to some (Skeeter dunks )products here cause of limitation.Bug zapper doesn't work attracts tons of mosquitoes except for aphids thrips butterflies caterpillars until every night I should clean it twice
..anyway thank you so much

Last edited:

Ask a Question