How long can my pond be iced over before the fish are in danger?

Reaction score
Here's how to think of it in terms of thirds:

stratlayers.gif

Reaction score
interesting words--epilimnion and hypolimnion. checking dictionaries they seem to be specific to the phenomena, ergo no general usage for them. I really like words, always have.

rdk

Reaction score
Do you think with a pond 24 inches deep one should run a waterfall plus an air stone on summer days.?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the air stones combined with the waterfall is a good idea; in that you can never have too much dissolved oxygen in the water. and the airstone(s) help keep water moving in the pond, helping to aleviate dead water spots. in general the deeper the pond the more efficient the air stones are for ogygenating and water movement.

Reaction score
absolutely yes! A waterfall is not enough to get air deep into the pond like an air stone at the pond floor. Here are two images I have posted before so that you can see the difference. Unless very high, waterfalls only tend to move water on the surface or in the first layer of water. Please do excuse my crappy drawings, but I hope they get the point across:

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

rdk

Reaction score
Ok I already have the air pump, water pump, barrel filter with waterfall now in the spring I will run them all together. This time in the spring do I run the air pump hose on the bottom in the deep end and can I run it without an air stone like I am doing right now only far deeper?

Reaction score
We have the heaters and white top covers on to keep the water above 12 centigrade at least.It isn't good for Koi to go too low.
Out of interest,one of the ponds had an outer lining of top grade polystyrene when it was built and it is always 4 degrees warmer than the other pond that is only a few feet away...If the day is fairly mild we leave the wraps half off but back they go before late afternoon.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
rdk... run your aerator with a stone during the summer months ..the finer the bubbling the more O2 isa absorbed into the water.. and the stone(s) create better water movement also. i would use the volcano style disc stones.

Reaction score
What Koidance said. I'm beginning to think adding depth isn't going to be enough. Oh, maybe enough to keep em from dying, but if it gets down to 44 degrees or so that seems awful cold for a creature that likes the 70s.

I shudder a little (no pun intended:tongue:) to think of it, but I wonder how hard it'd be to enclose the whole pond. Like a sun room with windows that start at the pond level/wall and go to the top of the frame wall and open out like French doors.

No, that's a dream. Maybe someday. But I'm definitely going to find or build a cover. I really like that idea.

Say, has anybody tried those hoses they sell that supposedly heat the water?

Reaction score
do koi like 70 degrees? sure! I do too! But it snows in Japan where they are from. Koi have been used to weathering cold for many centuries, so you should not be overly worried about cold temps for koi.

Folks don't generally lose koi to the cold, unless the fish are very young (and there's plenty of folks here that will tell you stories about how they've overwintered 2" babies in the pond), they are malnourished and don't have the reserves to get them through the "hibernation" period, there are decaying leaves or crap in the pond that that has poisoned the water, etc.

Koi are hardier than you think. Just let 'em rest through the winter. They need the break and so do we. I think we're so busy feeding and caring and staring at them 5-10 times a day during spring and summer that we humans go through some kinda withdrawl in the winter not having to do something for 'em. They're fine. They'll make it. Spring is around the corner...

Reaction score
good advice. good advice indeed. maybe by the time I put the other foot in the ground i'll learn to relax and not worry. got that from my dad and have really tried not to do so as much.

rdk

Reaction score
Should these air stones be cleaned or replaced often to keep it open for air or should they last a season? Thank you. We worry very much about our fish. It's hard to believe any living thing can live in the cold.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i scuff mine with a fine wire brush every 6 months or so. so far ive 2 years on them. i use them outside and on the basement pond i give them a light brushing when they get transferred between ponds..

Reaction score
koiguy is right. regular cleanings keep em flowing. Rubber ones are easier to maintain than the stone ones and don't lose the bubbles as fast, but they are costlier.

Ask a Question