How many fish should I get?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put my pond liner in a hole I dug about 3ft deep 4ft wide and 5ft long I'm not sure how to figure out the gallon amout of that, but I assumed it was around 250 - 300gal anyway I was wondering if anyone could figure out the gallon amount and tell me how many fish I can put in and if I can put koi or if it's to small. Also I was wondering if there is a certian age that is best to start a koi pond I am turning 16 in a couple months and this will be my first pond I have had pleco, goldfish, tetra, and many other kinds of fish all in tanks before so I know how to take care of the fish I just dont know if I am old/responsible enough to take care of a whole pond I thought I was but then my sister and mom said I wasn't so I'm not sure now. All my other fish lasted quite a few years and I thought I might have enough experience to get a couple fish in a small pond but idk if there is a specific age best for starting your first pond. Anyway the main question is how many gallons the pond is and how many fish I can put in, thank you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-3.gif
@weeee123
Here is an online pond water volume calculator : https://www.pondvolumecalculator.com/ About 450 gals.
Age does not matter. Do it whenever you want to.
Maybe 9 or 10 goldfish. Lots of good plants to suck up excess nutrients.

Too small for Koi. I like Shubunkin goldfish as they look kinda like smaller Koi. You'll need a pump and filter or make a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my pond liner in a hole I dug about 3ft deep 4ft wide and 5ft long I'm not sure how to figure out the gallon amout of that, but I assumed it was around 250 - 300gal anyway I was wondering if anyone could figure out the gallon amount and tell me how many fish I can put in and if I can put koi or if it's to small.
Your estimate of 300 gal seems about right to me. My pond is around twice the size of yours and I estimate mine at about 700 gal. It's tricky to come up with an accurate number even using a volume calculator because you still have to do some estimating to account for shelves and sloping sides. I've got a dozen mixed varieties of goldfish in my pond with the largest two shubunkins at around 8-9 inches in length. Your pond will be too small for koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you're old enough to dig the hole you're old enough to care for it :) Good for you.
Pretty little goldfish are just the thing for your size - and they survive winter just fine.

Attachments

• P1110339.JPG
    P1110339.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If you can be patient I would start with 4 shubunkin goldfish. They are as colorful as koi if not more so and they multiply quickly (I started with four 2 years ago and now have 25!) The worst is having to rehome them so don't overload right from the get go...especially in a small pond...

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 162320 @weeee123
Here is an online pond water volume calculator : https://www.pondvolumecalculator.com/ About 450 gals.
Age does not matter. Do it whenever you want to.
Maybe 9 or 10 goldfish. Lots of good plants to suck up excess nutrients.

Too small for Koi. I like Shubunkin goldfish as they look kinda like smaller Koi. You'll need a pump and filter or make a bog.
Thank you I have a pump/filter suitable for a 500gal pond, Is that good? Also what kind of plants do you recommend and where should I get them? I tried looking around for aquatic plants but all I could find were tiny ones at petco/smart for aquariums or ones online with bad reviews. Are smaller (4-6" -ish) plants ok?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you I have a pump/filter suitable for a 500gal pond, Is that good? Also what kind of plants do you recommend and where should I get them? I tried looking around for aquatic plants but all I could find were tiny ones at petco/smart for aquariums or ones online with bad reviews. Are smaller (4-6" -ish) plants ok?
500 pump will work, just don't get a lot of fish or the water will muck up fast. You can look online more for plants. Lots of plants are good for your water too. Maybe someone here can recommend a good place they have used online. I use some plants from H-depot or Lowes garden center. I like Sedge plants in pots or Sweet Flag (watch this one tho as it can get large). Just take it out of the pot and trim it down if it does. Creeping Jenny is another one you can find at the box stores. Plant it on the sides of your pond in soil and it will crawl over into your pond and make the edges look nice. They sell Water lilies too during the Spring-Summer time too.
Parrots Feather will need to be bought online or if someone here has some to share. It dies back in winter but comes back in Spring when it warms up. I like Hornwort and Anacharis for just floating underwater but I have trouble sometimes keeping them alive as I the fish like to nibble on them I think. Others here will have more ideas on plants for you.

Sedge (there are lots of different varieties) I plant it between my rocks around pond w/it's roots in the water.
IMG_8592.JPG

Sweet Flag (There are a few varieties of this one also) It's in the pond in a pot w/100% clay kitty litter w/no additives. You can by a brand called Special Kitty in large bags at Walmart. Red bag.
IMG_3908.JPG

Lowes Water lily I bought there
Not sure what the name was.
IMG_1176.JPG

Parrots Feather(It's in a big pot too of kitty litter. It sprawls all over the top of the water. You can stick it between rocks around pond w/ends in water and it will float around. I do that also.
IMG_7589.JPG

Anacharis (you can actually get this at the pet store and grow it outside of your pond in a tub of water and let it grow (might need some fertilizer to help growth when in a tub w/o fish). Add some to the pond but not all as the fish may eat it all up. The more you have the less they can keep up from wiping it all out. I only keep it in my other little frog pond w/no fish. I gave up trying in my fish pond. This photo is online in an aquarium.
Anacharis.jpg

Hornwort (I noticed I have one tall stalk of it left in my fish pond and I'm hoping it will grow more. This photo is from an aquarium online also.
Hornwort1.jpg

Another plant I like is Water Hawthorne but I don't have any right now. It disappeared. Think it may like still water and my water in the fish pond was moving more than it liked. Has tiny blooms that smell really good.
IMG_6027.JPG

I have some Floating Heart growing in my little frog pond. They look like tiny Water Lily pads w/tiny flowers.
Floating Heart.jpg

Dwarf Cattails in a pot of kitty litter in my bathtub pond. Have some tucked in between rocks around top of my fish pond too w/roots in water.
IMG_5922.JPG

Lots more types of plants, just keep an eye out here and you will see what others have in their ponds. Lots of fun! Enjoy!

Ask a Question