How to prevent mud from getting in pond during a storm?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
For the longest time my Pond was a few inches above ground and I'd have mulch & bolders going to the lip so it would look nearly flush with the ground... Mulch or dirt never got in the pond after a storm.

This weekend I dug the pond out a good amount and it sits much deeper and the rocks around it are now half on the ground and the other half overhanging the pond looking a bit more natural... I like it but after a storm I can tell there are area's where dirt got in from a mud slide.

Attached is a before and after picture. You can see the few inches above ground it was for a year, and then now it is level there are areas where the dirt can seep right in after a storm.

What should I do to line over the dirt/ mud and also prevent mulch from going in the pond now that it is ground level and not a few inches higher? :lol:

Thanks,

Shane

Attachments

• IMG00025-20090702-1044.jpg
    IMG00025-20090702-1044.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • IMG00071-20110619-2031.jpg
    IMG00071-20110619-2031.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,062

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks a lot nicer!

For the dirt mud, you could slope the land away from the pond slightly. It does not take much. If there is one area that is a problem add a little dirt to that area so the water flows away from the pond.

The other thing you could do is put french type drains around the pond.

I think the best would be to slope the land away from the pond. I have about 1 inch slope in areas where I don't have a horrendous water flow after rain, it is enough to keep the water from going into the pond. Other areas needed a french drain or larger slope.

The mulch, you could get some of the black pvc lawn edge, bury it so it is just barely above ground, but far enough to stop the mulch, this would also stop the flow of water into the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that one side near the tree really looks low and needs raised .If you get a really heavy downpour your pond will be a mess

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Lowering it made a problem.
You could use a few more rocks around the back and sides .i would use landscape fabric under them and pull it up as high as you could without it being seen use gravel to fill in between the larger rocks ....it should divert the water

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
sissy said:
that one side near the tree really looks low and needs raised .If you get a really heavy downpour your pond will be a mess
attachment.php

that did it, thanks. I raised the side by the tree and also cut away a ditch for the water to drain (now under the mulch under the pond).

Thank you all,

Shane

Attachments

• IMG00090-20110620-1715.jpg
    IMG00090-20110620-1715.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 755

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow it looks great and you put in a waterfall too .Oh my I love the spitter hippo where did you get that have never seen ine before .I have the turtle but that hippo's to die for LOL

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
sissy said:
wow it looks great and you put in a waterfall too .Oh my I love the spitter hippo where did you get that have never seen ine before .I have the turtle but that hippo's to die for LOL

Menards I believe, they have the Hipo, a Frog and a Turtle.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DrCase said:
Lowering it made a problem.
You could use a few more rocks around the back and sides .i would use landscape fabric under them and pull it up as high as you could without it being seen use gravel to fill in between the larger rocks ....it should divert the water

I agree with the Dr that landscape fabric pulled up a few inches higher than the ground, put some rocks around it and mulch and it should be ver well hidden. I have had do somethin similar on my pond to keep the mulch and dirt from running in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
darn no menards around here have to check North Carolina darn none and checked there store so far nothing on shipping either .My brother in law lives up that way going to call him .He still works at the ford plant may be able to get one yet .I love that thing .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like you got if fixed now and looking good. Now you just need some plants and the fish :regular_waving_emot

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
sissy said:

I got it at Home Depot not Menards, do you have a home depot by you?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh we have 1 here and 1 an hour away in greensboro .Did not see it last week in the Danville store ,they have put all the pool and pond suppllies all the way in the back of the garden center here and I did not see much of anything .Going to go to Greensboro Tuesday have to check there .I checked on line nothing .Thanks for checking it out have to tell Glenn ,he has been going nuts looking for it LOL Oh well at least I know he still loves me

Ask a Question