I got predator problems

Reaction score
Too many to deal with today. I already lost one fish on the weekend and I think it may have been a crab.

This morning I look out the window to see the green heron pecking around looking for bugs ... maybe? He wasn't by the pond. Maybe he was choking down a fish, I don't know.

So I walk out to the pond, saw two crabs right off, if I saw two, there's got to be more. How many? I don't know. Talk about stressed out right now.

This rain has chased them all out of their holes.

Crab1.jpg
crab2.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, they will try to pinch the fish in their claws and then eat them. At first I thought they were just scavengers but my friend told me she saw one snap one of her fish in half.

I don't think they can get the fast guys, but I do have four koi that only have 1 eye - so they maybe easy prey and the fantail goldfish may also be prey for them.

Today is not a good day in my pond. I will get my older son to come over see if he can catch them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow, They are huge! I wouldn't want those in my pond either :wideyed:

Once you get them netted out and removed from the area can you net your pond? Even if only temporary until things settle down a bit.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to get them out and take them to the ocean. I will net the pond again this afternoon. I don't think that will keep the crabs out though. But it will keep the bird out.

Nature just doesn't give any breaks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I'm going to get them out and take them to the ocean. I will net the pond again this afternoon. I don't think that will keep the crabs out though. But it will keep the bird out.

Nature just doesn't give any breaks.

Netting won't keep the crabs out?

On a good note, crab just showing up at your house beats my pizza delivery allll day. :)

That depends on who your talking to here. I do not eat any type of sea food but I will take all the pizza I can get :LOL:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Priscilla Just curious.... Are the crabs simply migrating to your pond, or are they being carried by "flood" waters? I'm sure glad you spotted them.

We're having quite a bit of flooding here, but we're getting alligators -- well, not US personally, but the gators are out of their elements, so to speak. But there's one consolation to all the extra water and that's that there are plenty of alternate, natural places for the GBH's to look for food, instead of searching for my pond. At least for now -- guess I'll need to put up netting soon, 'cause once those waters recede, there will be a lot of hungry herons!

Ask a Question