I just put a pond in the ground and .....................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The advice on pond turn over IS the amount that needs to go through your filter - if the bog is your only filter, then the water needs to flow through it the appropriate amount of times per hour. In your case, you need to have 900 - 1200 LPH flow through the filter. Your bigger question might be whether a 50L bog will be big enough, if it's your only filter.

And yes - the "how slow through a bog is slow enough" question has been discussed here frequently. I know we've seen charts that show formulas, but that's math. haha! Like you, we have one pump that feeds both the bog and a small stream. We have a series of valves that we can direct more or less water to each - I just play around with them until it feels "right". No math, no formula, just feeling. Not helpful, I know!

One thing that concerns me is the size of your pump - if your pond is only 5-600 liters, your pump is seriously oversized at 4000 LPH. You'd be fine with a smaller pump.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
No Maths :( trial and error it is then.
I have turned my stream on for the first time tonight and it looks good, since I have not plumbed in the filter yet I have not cut up my 19mm hose and am running it on a 3.5m length. The plan is to get a 25mm hose from the pump to a tee then 19mm to the stream as well to the filter, once I have done this I will measure the output from the filter and place a valve in the plumbing somewhere so that I am getting at least 16L per minute from the filter.
Just hope my stream does not get starved and look like a tickle.

Also I have read many people in the aquarium scene use hydroponic expanded clay as a media in their filters as it is a fraction the cost of the ceramic types. This is why I am planing on using expanded clay, it is very porous and will allow much more bacteria to colonise than gravel. It also allows water to pass through it easily.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Today I finished my project. All plumbed in, landscaped and everything seems fine. Once summer hits in a few months things should be rockin.

Attachments

• DSC_4134.JPG
    DSC_4134.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 261
Reaction score
Country
Australia
UPDATE

So four and a half months have past and it has been good and bad. All was good until spring came along and I got a lot of string algae growing and my water was never crystal clear unless I threw the garden hose in and overflowed the pond to flush out the suspended particles. After the string algae along came the green algae which clouded up the water so I decided to remove the filter and redesign my system.
What I did was get some black plastic and create a spill way to accommodate my plants I removed from my previous filter and add a box filter filled with layers of foam and bio media that then flowed into the spill way. I also added some beneficial bacteria, placed a stocking over the inlet of the box filter to remove the finer particles and I also added an attachment to my pump to change where the water was being drawn from. I noticed that because I did not have a skimmer box I was getting particles as well as algae sitting close to and on top of the water and that these particles would simple sink to the bottom. I put an elbow on my pump with a piece of pipe facing up and the top of the pipe sitting about 10mm from the waters surface with slots cut in so if the water level falls below the top the pump is still drawing water. I have noticed that this has cleared up the waters surface greatly and the pond is clearing well. It has only been 4 days since I have had the new system in place but the water has improved so much it is not far off being crystal clear. Just need to wait on the bacteria to colonise and I will report back to update again.
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! Great job on getting your pond running better

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks guys for all the kind words.
Well three days after my last post and my water is crystal clear and the surface is a mirror with no little bits which have been blown in floating around (skimmer pipe is working a treat).Since there is practically nothing floating around in the pond now I have removed the stocking and let the filter do all the work. Fingers crossed it keeps up looking this way and that my plants flourish through the summer to create a nice looking garden.

Ask a Question