Can I safely put River Water Into my Koi pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I have about 12 Koi and gold fish they are 1 1/2 years old and some are just from this year. I have been able to only let the rain water fill my pond until recently and it's getting a little low due to the hot weather. I live right by the River and would prefer natural water if possible. I used tap water last year and it killed a few of my koi as I was new to being a koi owner I did add quick fix but some of them still didn't make it. Does anyone know if the water from the river would be ok for the pond I would only add a little at a time. What do you think?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rive water can carry bad things that is why no one should drink it either .Plus the the temperature would be different .You never know what could be in there

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-21_16-4-42.gif
@Pamkoi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tap water is by the best bet after the rain water . Some would even say that rain water is no good as it can be rather acidic. well I am on the easy cost we get all the acid rain from everyone off to the west . I use rain water as much as possible but have to use city water too and you have to make sure you use enough DE chlorinator if theres a big temp difference and you have a small pond add the water slowly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi I have about 12 Koi and gold fish they are 1 1/2 years old and some are just from this year. I have been able to only let the rain water fill my pond until recently and it's getting a little low due to the hot weather. I live right by the River and would prefer natural water if possible. I used tap water last year and it killed a few of my koi as I was new to being a koi owner I did add quick fix but some of them still didn't make it. Does anyone know if the water from the river would be ok for the pond I would only add a little at a time. What do you think?
Parasites that are harmful to goldfish can be in river and lake water and vice versa that goldfish can transmit disease to fresh water fish, so it's best never to mix a pond environment with river or lakes. There are stories of all the fish in a small lake dying because of the fact that goldfish were introduced.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great advice and I appreciate it. When I first got my Koi I used tap water and a few died but luckily I've only been using rain water now but it's been a little dry and was trying not to add tap water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I collect rain water in barrels, I have tested it and it always had a low ph between 5.5 and 6. Not sure about your tap water but mine has a ph of 7.5 and is soft water, so I have to add a buffer to keep my ph stable. I am still learning about water, but it's necessary so at least this way I don't waste my rain water, but can also use my tap water. So maybe test your rain water. The one thing I do know is, the park rangers near me do not like anyone messing with the wildlife pond as @CometKeith said the introduction or swapping of pest and diseases can become a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live on a large lake with very clean water, have used it for 8 years to fill or top off pond. It is already perfection balanced when tested & has beneficial bacteria. I do use an RV water filter but never had any problems. Not sure about river water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The answer is yes and the answer is no . The Charles river in Boston was one of the most polluted bodies of water in the usa . if the water isn't churned up and the the river bed disturbed the water looked ok . but disturb that river bed and you could smell it before you saw it was not water you wanted to be in.

Even crystal clear waters can harbor parasites that came from deer dung or a road kill up river. you just never know, I use rain water from my roof . SOME SAY THATS NO GOOD i say 5 years and going strong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don’t do it. Too risky for parasites.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me it would depend on what river your talking about. But parasites are a potential issue as noted

Ask a Question