sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used rubber roofing in my waterfall area and it has been there over 4 years and in pond filters seem to never work by a tote and adapters and put one outside your pond

cheap and easy .I even used sump pump hose and you can even use a sump pump vault

you have an ollies

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh also with the totes in pic 2 i cut the handles off one tote and put it inside another tote the same size to make it stronger .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have used rubber roofing in both my ponds and the fish have been living for years............it's the same thing the pond companies sell............don't let them fool ya!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've read somewhere that rubber roofing and pond liner are the same thing, only the latter is more expensive!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fancy name means more money in there pockets and less in yours .I never had success with in pond filters and tried them for years and never had any luck with them ,sorry to say that .I tried to keep expenses down also and totes were the cheapest way to go at 5 dollars a piece and i use the dreaded garden center lava rocks in my filters .They may be heavy but they work for me .

Reaction score
Wow your water is so clear I cant see S#*% in mine lol. I cant even see my fish and they dont come to the top to eat why is that?
I know they are there because my son says he has seen them. If they die they will always float to the top right?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have my pumps in the water but run a hose to the tote filter .I just took off the prefilters and I know ground up fish poo ,but saves my pumps from burning out .Been doing it for 5 years now that way

I put my pump inside a tote with lava rock inside a dollar store laundry bag .The green tote works good but still has to be cleaned once in awhile and is a little heavy .Maybe someone here has a better idea for you that will not cost to much .I tried an out of pond prefilter but I could never get it right

Reaction score
That's funny because I just bought a laundry bag from the dollar store thinking I could somehow make that work. I put screen wire over a tote with the pump in there. Should I pull it back up and take the screen wire off with that hurt the fish? Do I need the lava rock around the pump filter? You guys are great here at least I am learning!

Reaction score
I just dont much like getting in the pond its deep and I cant see, kinda of afraid of something other than what I have put in there being in there. But I have done too much work to turn back now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm doing an experiment right now w/ my pump cuz trying to stop the little tiny fish from getting sucked into it. Tried the netting wrapped around it but still sucked them right against that so now I got a big enough black plant pot..........had holes in the bottom so took some of my fiber media stuff for pond filters and cut it into a round circle and pushed it tight into the bottom to cover the holes. Then stuck the pump on top of that. Then cut another piece of the media fiber into another circle and cut a hole so the pump tube can come up out of that. It is all very tight fitting so no little fish or snails etc. can get in there. The water can still flow through the fiber media and water is flowing out of the pump just fine to and over the falls. It is much lighter this way then say putting rocks in a bag. I will prolly have to clean the top circle once in awhile and will see how often after my testing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh I also tied strong twine to this set up so I can easily pull it out to clean.

Reaction score
Now thats a good idea!! I need to do that so I do not have to get in it every time I need to take up the pump. The black fiber stuff where can you get ? I am guessing it comes in sheets.

Ask a Question