In over my head, building a huge waterfall. Need pointers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
City water can add up expecialy with the amount of falls in full sun that you have . That's when you'll see your evaporation loss.

They can suck up quite a bit actually but only once then it stops . Unless your in Arizona or Florida where the rocks above water level heat up where you could cook an egg . That will cook the water at the edges that wicks into the rock . You'll see the water line on the rocks will be higher than the actual water line. Usually only an inch or two
That one to two inch water line on the rocks vs actual water line is what gave me a hear attack first time after putting in the liner and it rained. Thought for sure there was a leak, then next morning realized what was really going on with the rocks. But that was not a fun few hours of worrying, lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That one to two inch water line on the rocks vs actual water line is what gave me a hear attack first time after putting in the liner and it rained. Thought for sure there was a leak, then next morning realized what was really going on with the rocks. But that was not a fun few hours of worrying, lol.
I had the same reaction. Freaked me out. Glad its nothing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick update here:

After watching things from 9 am yesterday to 12pm today and the water only moving 1/16ish, we made the call to start filling. We filled back to the place we did last time and left it for 2 hours. No change in water height. Last time, it started going down within 30 min. So, I have absolutely no idea why it works now. So after leaving it at the former spot for 2 hours, I turned on the water again, and its rolling. Going to take until tomorrow to get it filled.

We'll see how it goes. I'll update again tomorrow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Another update:

It is basically working how I thought it would. There are tons of things to fix, clean up, finish... But for now it does run.
Good deal, it's up and running and no water loss! What a great looking massive waterfall set up. I would be afraid to do something like that but you know what you are doing it appears so hoping it all keeps working wonderful for you and you can get on to the decorating w/plants etc. and then the relaxing spot to lay back and enjoy all that you have done!
Hamock.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well done sir! you have to have a big sigh or of relief ... Looks really nice i generaly like more flow to the falls but you seem to have nailed a moderate flow. nice work. im sure it adds a whole lot to your back yard.
I love the pools at the bottom of the falls in the center . careful with the plantings they can hide too much when it comes to gradual drops . moss might start taking on that job

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Amazing. I know it is a relief when you get it going.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good deal, it's up and running and no water loss! What a great looking massive waterfall set up. I would be afraid to do something like that but you know what you are doing it appears so hoping it all keeps working wonderful for you and you can get on to the decorating w/plants etc. and then the relaxing spot to lay back and enjoy all that you have done!
View attachment 160602
Thanks, there is some water loss. I have some work to do in a few spots that were leaking on the edges and in a couple drops but its just reconfiguring not heavy work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well done sir! you have to have a big sigh or of relief ... Looks really nice i generaly like more flow to the falls but you seem to have nailed a moderate flow. nice work. im sure it adds a whole lot to your back yard.
I love the pools at the bottom of the falls in the center . careful with the plantings they can hide too much when it comes to gradual drops . moss might start taking on that job
It is a huge sigh of relief. We are probably going to add more volume to the bottom few drops. I think a variable speed 2-4k would be nice.
I'll video the whole backyard later and talk about plans. There's a stucco fireplace, a multi-level deck and more.

Anyway, more as I get things done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is a huge sigh of relief. We are probably going to add more volume to the bottom few drops. I think a variable speed 2-4k would be nice.
I'll video the whole backyard later and talk about plans. There's a stucco fireplace, a multi-level deck and more.

Anyway, more as I get things done.
SHOULD HAVE DONE THE OTHERS FIRST NOW YOU'LL WANT TO STARE AT THE BUBBLES AS THEY FALL OVER THE FALLS AND MAKE THEIR WAY DOWN THE HILL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your intake needs help or is the water level low?

Reaction score
Country
United States
your intake needs help or is the water level low?
Good eye. Yes, the water level is still low. I have two small spots keeping me from filling another 4-6 inches. Once I fix those, I can get more total volume up and should have 4-5" in the intake. When it first fires up the intake starts working perfectly but then the water dips to low.

I also have 8-10 places where I probably need to rethink how I block the water in via foam and rocks. I made some mistakes in the construction that make things a little harder. Part of the learning curve.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good eye. Yes, the water level is still low. I have two small spots keeping me from filling another 4-6 inches. Once I fix those, I can get more total volume up and should have 4-5" in the intake. When it first fires up the intake starts working perfectly but then the water dips to low.

I also have 8-10 places where I probably need to rethink how I block the water in via foam and rocks. I made some mistakes in the construction that make things a little harder. Part of the learning curve.
one thing that is never mentioned with the pros is caulking good old fashion caulking. i would use the foam or BACKERROD "{MUCH CHEAPER THAN EXPANDABLE FOAM}" hit it with the foam and then once that dries coat it with a layer of caulking turns not water proof to being very close if not waterproof.

Ask a Question