Just a bunch of fish photos

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Well, I have been a member here for almost a year now, I think, but had somehow overlooked this pond photography section! I obsessively snap photos of my fish, because I just love them all so much. But I never have anyone to share them with because apparently the rest of the world isn't as obsessed with my fish as I am. So here's my outlet! Yay!

11 out of 12.JPG
That's 11 of our 12 fish in one shot!! You have to look closely for the black one at the top.

all the plants.JPG
A nice look at the plants coming in (plus lovely fishies)

Frank says hello.JPG
Friendly Frank the Chagoi saying hello! And that's Zoom Zoom the aka matsuba.

Steve and Leonard.JPG

Our showa, Steve, and the scaleless platinum is Leonard.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lovely big fish! I love them all but am really taken in by Leonard and his shiny white skin or what do you call it w/no scales. I know you say scaleless but what is it then skin?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@j.w , they are called Doitsu, or leather. Doitsu means Dutch... German koi were originally raised for eating (carp... not super tasty... ugh). So the Germans figured out a way to breed for no scales, which made the fish easier to clean and prepare as food. Then the Japanese starting importing some of these German scaleless koi for breeding, and that's how the various Doitsu varieties have come around. Some have a row of wide scales down the center of their backs, and some have a single row of scales down the lateral lines, but not all over scales. Our little Sanke (whom I'm currently treating for this nasty ulcer) is mostly scaleless, with scales just down his spine.

Ulcer on Potato.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The Shubbies I have kind of remind me of some of the big colorful koi. I only have 5 or 6 of them but wishing for more some day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
C-Note, the fish to the right of your concrete blocks in second pic, just below your Shubie, is that called a Goromo, or something like that? I remember seeing that coloration, thinking it's where one color is coming through another color, but can't remember. It's my favorite! And, that's a really neat idea for your lily plants, in those concrete blocks. Let us know how that works for you.

Ask a Question