just got my mini bog finished.

Reaction score
got it all hooked up and 1/2 filed with pea gravel.I swear I don't know if you can get all of the mud out of the rocks. I have more plants to plant coming from ebay. the water is coming up through the gravel so thats working for a bio filter for me so I removed the external one.
of course the fish are all scared because of the pots I put in and the noise. but by tomorrow they will be all normal again. the bottom is a video of a fun little rain/hail storm we got right after I was done.
photo1-22.jpg

photo2-20.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have to rinse forever to get rid of the dirt, when we put our larger pump on the bog this spring a lot of fine dirt ran into the pond. Turned it off and used jw's water fall quilt batting filter to catch a lot of it. thanks jw for the idea!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got some batting in there right now that I need to get out there and rinse out and put back in.........discouraged tho w/ our cool weather............where is this global warming thingy when I want it :twisted:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Steve knight said:
got it all hooked up and 1/2 filed with pea gravel.I swear I don't know if you can get all of the mud out of the rocks. I have more plants to plant coming from ebay. the water is coming up through the gravel so thats working for a bio filter for me so I removed the external one.
of course the fish are all scared because of the pots I put in and the noise. but by tomorrow they will be all normal again. the bottom is a video of a fun little rain/hail storm we got right after I was done.
photo1-22.jpg

photo2-20.jpg

Why did you remove your bio-filter so early? I doubt that the Bog has nearly enough bio going on to take over your fish load yet. From the pics i've seen you have a pretty heavy fish load for the size pond, I would have left both going for quite a while. BTW the Bog looks good, just worried about it being enough.

Reaction score
if the temps were higher I would not have. but the water has seldom gotten to 60. I know I debated it but it was hard to work around and ugly. the pads in the filter should do most of the job. We only have 8 or 10 fish 2 maybe 5" the rest 4" or under.
I wished I had bought the larger laguna filter as it has bio media in it.

Ask a Question