koi resting bottom still eating

Reaction score
Country
United States
just watched them all again for an hour one fish flashed twice in a row....no others flashed and no one is laying on the bottom.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MitchM Thanks! I really need to find a good website for learning basic, remedial chemistry! High school and college chem classes were tooooo many years ago, and I’ve forgotten more than I ever learned.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am always curious why people quarantine fish before adding them to a new pond - wouldn't the pond itself be a good quarantine since it contains no other fish?
Its easier to treat a small amount of water than a whole pond. Some of the meds are expensive!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Its easier to treat a small amount of water than a whole pond. Some of the meds are expensive!

That one I can understand, and I've been told that it's easier to catch them for treatment. I just seems that being held in an undersized container for a number of weeks - and in some cases with too many other fish if you're quarantining your entire stock for a new pond - would just add to the stress and perhaps create problems that wouldn't otherwise exist. One fish being added to an existing pond I get - many fish being quarantined before being added to a new pond with no residents makes me go "hmmmm...".

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My take on quarantine for any new fish is that it’s as much about observation (and waiting) as it is about treatment — at least in the case of new fish. And more so about isolation and observation. I don’t automatically “treat” my new fish for anything when they go into QT. I do a salt dip, but that’s it. From there, it’s observing them for signs and symptoms of an illness, and giving parasites a chance to go through a life cycle — if there are any — because I’m not going to “treat” something unless I know what it is. Then, if something shows up, I can diagnose it and treat the fish. I know not everyone does it this way.

For a newly set up pond, my original group of fish would go directly into and QT in the pond. For any fish that get added later, they QT separately from the fish already in the pond.

@Lisak1 I think what happens sometimes with newbies is, they hear the word “quarantine” but don’t hear the context. They hear that “all new fish should be quarantined.” Period. Without understanding what’s going on. It’s like people who hear “ponds need to be salted.” They hear and do without thinking....because that’s what they’re told.

Reaction score
Country
United States
can anyone help with my issue? my thread has gone off topic. My koi were resting again yesterday after another rainfall. I ordered a tds meter and the reading was 0776 ppm is this high should i do a water change? ph after the rainfall was an 8. temperature today is 24.7c. if it is costia should i do another potassium permanganate treatment? and if so is my current treatment method sufficient of .2ppm wait until amber colored then another .2ppm until amber colored and then add hydrogen peroxide .3%?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would like to get a clearer picture of your pond history.
Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere
-Pond filled with water about 3 months ago
-Fish added after 3 weeks
-Source water is gh/kh both zero, ph 7
-Pond water is gh/kh 5 drops each, ph swings from 7.5 to 9 during the day
-Plants not doing well
-You have added salt, potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide to the pond

If the above is true:
-did you confirm zero ammonia before you added the fish to the pond? If not, they may be suffering from ammonia poisoning
-when were the plants added?
-how much salt, potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide have you added so far?
-How have you raised the KH and GH levels?
-What brand and model of filter are you using?
-How were the fish quarantined?

Ask a Question