Large koi distressed after being stuck in skimmer box

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Help! Found two of my koi fish stuck in the skimmer box...the runt was underneath one of my biggest fish. I pulled both out, the runt seems fine, the biggest one is struggling. Curled up, tried to swim. No injuries or disease that I can see, must have just gone into the box for food and got stuck.

I'm adding a spray of well water that's treated with salt to put more oxygen in the water and some salt...

Well established pond, never had problems before.

Trying to keep it moving without injuring it. What can I do? Thank you so much...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
IMG_20170820_125453.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The water is all churned up from trying to save it :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you...I'll keep doing that, my sister who also had a koi pond was successful with that once, but the only other time I had a fish stuck it didn't work...probably way too late. Hoping I found this one sooner. It's on the bottom, but still moving.

I'm trying to get it closer to the surface so I can keep moving it. My pond is four feet deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been using a net...let me try getting it to the side where I can use my hands.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you...I'll keep doing that, my sister who also had a koi pond was successful with that once, but the only other time I had a fish stuck it didn't work...probably way too late. Hoping I found this one sooner. It's on the bottom, but still moving.

I'm trying to get it closer to the surface so I can keep moving it. My pond is four feet deep.
Don't over stress it either. I am sure some experts will chime in as they read this but offering what I can as it's critically time sensitive.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@IPA 's suggestion is good, but only if the fish responds to this therapy fairly quickly. The fish is obviously showing the effects of massive stress. To be honest, it may or may not recover. Do you have any idea of how long the fish was in the skimmer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have no idea. The runt was under it and is fine. I'm still swimming the big one back and forth. It seems to be getting stronger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It seemed to keep getting stronger, but still isn't able to swim on its own. Then I ended up with a handful of scales. :) As I was walking away in defeat I crossed paths with a black snake...that slithered right over my foot. (Don't worry, I leave them alone as they're beneficial...it was just the icing on the cake..and yes, I screamed).

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I've had my fish for years and years...
hate seeing this, but stuff happens. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i had a snake slither across my foot, I would need a change of clothes !!! Good luck with your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If i had a snake slither across my foot, I would need a change of clothes !!! Good luck with your fish.
I did a snake dance of sorts while screaming...surprised I didn't need require a clothing change. And thank you...I had to come inside...and let nature take its course.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Im thinking... Somehow he broke his spine, does he not stay straight? King Of DIY had this same issue not to long ago with his Arrowana. Which is about the same size as this koi.

Last edited:

Ask a Question