large pond ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
These days some of my cleintele that have the largest ponds are Dairy farmers that irrigate their various grass fields from their ponds.
One in the Hemit area is about 30 years old and ringed with large trees. It takes up about 10 acres and is about 30 feet deep,is particularly striking. Making these into Koi ponds has become one of my hobbies.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The yellow flag can grow quite tall too for some people and that helps to shade areas of the pond from the hot summer sun as well.
It is just the biggest plant in my pond system.
IMAG2026.jpg
IMAG1359.jpg
and this was early in spring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes yours is huge, mine never has gotten that big............yet but maybe when mine gets growing free floating it will get bigger. It has been crammed in between rocks which may hinder it's growth. Pulling it out from my rocks is also going to hinder its growth but that's what it gets for kicking my rocks to the bottom of the pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Guy that is what I discovered like twenty some long years ago, that my yellow flag could float like a raft! It has been floating for so many years now and the fish just love to winter under the roots, and hide there as well if there is a predator lurking. I thought I was the only one doing that, but I see I am not!

Good Link by the way!!! I might have to steal that link and post on my thread! Thanks!

IMAG3588.jpg

Come On Everybody and Grow your own Raft!!
IMAG3208.jpg

You can see the big yellow flag taking up large amount of room in the Middle upper pond, but it really cleans good when it just is allowed to grow really big in no soil and just float! It is such a big raft now that I think I could step on it and not sink!

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
wow, what an amazing garden(s). I am definatelty sold on the yellow flag. Your part of the sidewalk definately put your neighbours to shame :) Thanks for posting the vid, I especially liked the underwater section and please give Bear a tummy rub from me!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yellow flag can get out of hand .I took 1 out of a foreclosed house here that a real estate agent asked me to take the whole pond out .It took a heavy duty rope and my truck to pull the thing out .Over 2 hours to get the root ball out and 1 soaking wet woman .They are like iris they grow and grow ,They are great at cleaning but must be divided often

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Mine is so large that a few years back when I did move it, I had to roll the root ball in the spring cause it was just to heavy. But they sure do "lick" the bottom of the pond clean! Did you see how there was nothing under that root ball but back liner and a few small red aquarium rocks.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am glad you liked it guy, and tonight, even though it is cold and near winter, I found more rocks to finish cobble out front. I collect rocks down by river that are not froze to ground take them home for next spring so I have something to play with! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am glad you liked it guy, and tonight, even though it is cold and near winter, I found more rocks to finish cobble out front. I collect rocks down by river that are not froze to ground take them home for next spring so I have something to play with! :)
Us ponders are so easy to please, free rocks, plants, water and we can be entertained for hours.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My iris roots are pretty soft, I don't think they would dig through the liner. The edge could potentially get messed up when the roots go for dirt, push aside rocks.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It can take a few years before they get really big, but they do not go threw liner. It may need to be divided every five years or so, depending on how large your pond is, but small price to pay for crystal cLear water I would say!

Ask a Question