Lemon / Yellow Goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a yellow goldfish (labeled 'Lemon Goldfish') from my local fish store recently which was in an aquarium tank. When I put it in my outside pond it looked orange and not yellow at all. The only thing I can think that made it look lemon in the store was the lamp in the aquarium tank – it certainly looked a bright yellow compared to the other orange coloured goldfish that were in the same tank. Is it possible to get a bright lemon/yellow goldfish that really looks like this colour under the natural light of an outside pond?

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know. Someone did post about buying a yellow gold fish from Hawaii . Take a bright flash light with you when you look at fish, that will override whatever lights they are using.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is it possible to get a bright lemon/yellow goldfish that really looks like this colour under the natural light of an outside pond?

It may be the light, or it may be the color of your pond water vs the clear water of an aquarium. My fish look a bit different in color in the pond than they do out of the water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your replies, should have inspected the fish more closely whilst it was in the bag - oh well, still on the hunt for a bright lemon yellow goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might try fishkeeping.co.uk and type in lemon goldfish. They have a care sheet posted so that fish could possibly be available locally for you. The site also has a contact area so perhaps you can click there and ask them for a quality supplier.
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You might try fishkeeping.co.uk and type in lemon goldfish. They have a care sheet posted so that fish could possibly be available locally for you. The site also has a contact area so perhaps you can click there and ask them for a quality supplier.
Stephen
Thanks I’ll get it a try

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Don't know about fish changing colour in the short time between shop and pond but when I got my yellow canaries they were on the yellow side of orange, one year later and they are on the red side of orange. I suppose it is due to all the red pigments that are in fish food. With yellow discus it is really difficult to prevent them going orange for this reason, does the the same apply to goldfish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know about fish changing colour in the short time between shop and pond but when I got my yellow canaries they were on the yellow side of orange, one year later and they are on the red side of orange. I suppose it is due to all the red pigments that are in fish food. With yellow discus it is really difficult to prevent them going orange for this reason, does the the same apply to goldfish?
The colour change can only be down to the lights in the shop aquarium tank making the fish look bright lemon, but under the natural light of an outside pond the fish look a standard orange (I’ve uploaded a pic of the fish I took in the aquarium tank which shows the bright lemon colour). What I was wondering, is it possible to get a lemon yellow goldfish that will look as bright as the one in the pic in an outside pond - I know you can get brightly coloured lemon koi that look like that in an outside pond, but I was after a goldfish that wouldn’t grow as large. It may be that lemon coloured goldfish only appear in that bright colour under artificial aquarium lights.

Attachments

• 0922533A-E4DC-436A-B4AE-1C011B0C2DC7.jpeg
    0922533A-E4DC-436A-B4AE-1C011B0C2DC7.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 529

Ask a Question