Let's do it again Sam

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just originally built the pond with the plan of no fish.
I now have fishues
A lot of fishues. So I want to rebuild it the right way 1 time and then just plan on maintaining. I figured that eventually a bog will have to be flushed out so building it in a container that comes with a drain would make long term maintenance easier but whatever I need to do for my fish load is what I'd (cost being a factor) like to do.

As far as flushing, I estimate that my skippies really only need to be flushed once a year ( I went 2 or more years, I cant remember, without touching them at first, until I think the third year it started affecting the water flow). I only flush them as often as I do because its an easy way to do a quick water change.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do mine every 2 months because I want the fertilizer for my gardens .It is free it is there and my plants love it .I think that is the main reason I made it easy to remove .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm looking long term for care and maintenance as well. I set up my bog with a split to be able to run a hose but I didn't have a pump big enough to provide enough water pressure. The new pump should do it though.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I flush my skippys every few weeks and every time I'm home during a big rain ,
I like the free flush ... You can smell the water so it can't be good for koi

One thing I like about going in over the top of the skippy is when I turn off the pump I don't get the crud back in the pond
I could use a check valve to keep the water from flowing back, but that would mess up my pipe drain down if I needed it in the winter

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah and see so do I... Therein lies my quandary. No one want's to support my love... LOL
I of course have put this off long enough that by the time I get to the actual digging and lifting and hard part, it will be July or August again.
I also have to try and plan the cutting down of a palm tree right next to the pond while it's all torn up. :)
Good times
Goooood times.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And you need to scoop out the tads, dragon fly larvae, pond critters, save them to put back when you are done!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have my second Laguna 2400 gph pump sitting on my desk in front of me and my new filter is "in route" to being delivered... I wonder what I'm going to do this weekend if it stops raining??

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am losing my mind. (Shut-up Haro :p). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to rebuild the "waterfall/bog/stream/shallow pool/bird bath/eater of hopes and dreams" area. I have a new filter and want to keep the plant life I have in the bog but not sure if I want to build another bog, I have concerns about how nasty my bog water is and the inability to clean it out further down the road. However, it could be due to not enough water flow honestly since I used garden hose size PVC....

But is there a difference in water filtering between a bog and a stream? I have a filter which should take care of the fish but want something for plants and waterfall area. I am also concerned with the stream aspect since I see a lot of them with string algae all over the place and this will sit in full sun.

The area I'm looking at is flat and relatively small.

Ideas, suggestions, or cocktail recipes to help are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Ask a Question