Looking for marginal fern recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would like to try some ferns either in the bog or pondside. Any recommendations? I have some that grow naturally here that I could try, but I also have some Cinnamon Ferns that I would like to try and I can't seem to find any info about how they might work. Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Besides the crap-ton of native ferns that pop everywhere like weeds, I really like my 'Brilliance' Autumn ferns and also my Japanese Painted ferns. The Autumn ferns are evergreen, so add some winter interest as well.

Disclaimer - I don't have a bog. These are all planted in the garden, so I'm not sure how they'd do in a constantly wet location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Besides the crap-ton of native ferns that pop everywhere like weeds, I really like my 'Brilliance' Autumn ferns and also my Japanese Painted ferns. The Autumn ferns are evergreen, so add some winter interest as well.

Disclaimer - I don't have a bog. These are all planted in the garden, so I'm not sure how they'd do in a constantly wet location.
My neighbor has one of those Japanese Painted ferns and it's gorgeous. "Brilliance", will investigate. Thanks.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would like to try some ferns either in the bog or pondside. Any recommendations? I have some that grow naturally here that I could try, but I also have some Cinnamon Ferns that I would like to try and I can't seem to find any info about how they might work. Thanks for any advice.
Marsh fern(Thelypteris palustris) and Royal fern(Osmunda regalis) are both ferns occur in floating marshes/bogs and solid ground wetlands. Royal fern looks a lot like cinnamon fern at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have four ferns in the pond, one is Hart tongue's fern which is just creating new leaves and a regular fern, 2x spleenwort ferns. It's interesting, on the spleenwort fern I have a geranium growing on it thats blooming. I essentially just pop em in between rocks and that's it. But fish can be annoying, with this main fern I have they were knocking it a thousand times it does seem a bit shocked right now but it should be ok.

I need more, they just make it look much more natural especially in shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Marsh fern(Thelypteris palustris) and Royal fern(Osmunda regalis) are both ferns occur in floating marshes/bogs and solid ground wetlands. Royal fern looks a lot like cinnamon fern at times.
Good to know, I had read that the Royal was quite similar. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have four ferns in the pond, one is Hart tongue's fern which is just creating new leaves and a regular fern, 2x spleenwort ferns. It's interesting, on the spleenwort fern I have a geranium growing on it thats blooming. I essentially just pop em in between rocks and that's it. But fish can be annoying, with this main fern I have they were knocking it a thousand times it does seem a bit shocked right now but it should be ok.

I need more, they just make it look much more natural especially in shade.
Good to know, thanks!

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Good to know, I had read that the Royal was quite similar. Thanks!
Royal can get pretty big and showy around 2ft tall and growa from a central ”clump”.

The marsh fern typically gets around 1ft tall and it sends out subsurface rhizomes and can become quite thick if it’s not outcompeted by more aggressive plant. It‘s established itself in the expansion joint between my back patio and house and usually pops out between the rocks in my waterfall during normally wet south Louisiana springs and summers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Royal can get pretty big and showy around 2ft tall and growa from a central ”clump”.

The marsh fern typically gets around 1ft tall and it sends out subsurface rhizomes and can become quite thick if it’s not outcompeted by more aggressive plant. It‘s established itself in the expansion joint between my back patio and house and usually pops out between the rocks in my waterfall during normally wet south Louisiana springs and summers.
I'll have to google the Marsh fern, not sure I know what it is. Thanks again. Maybe if you get a chance you can take a photo or two.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'll have to google the Marsh fern, not sure I know what it is. Thanks again. Maybe if you get a chance you can take a photo or two.
IMG_6272.jpeg
IMG_6273.jpeg

Here ya go!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No kidding! I don't think I've seen one half that size here.
They are beautiful they grow in a clump and dead of the shade. they can be found in the water but growing on an island. definitely keep the crown above water. the fern i haver along my pond has done very well it's native no clue what type there's actually two types one is a lime green and the other is a dep green and very fine plumage i'll call it. it can be sen along my patio to the right over by the big tree stump

Ask a Question