Low Water Level. Should I add tap water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but please go easy on a newbie!

The title says it all, really.

I have a 750L (198 USG) pre-formed pond. It has a combined filter/fountain, which I'm running without any kind of spray-head, to minimise water loss. There's elodea distributed over about 2/3 of the water, a small water-lily, and a few marginal plants. There are four small goldfish. The pond is in full sun.

I'm in the SW UK, where there's been almost no rain for two months (well, my part of it, anyway!) The water in the pond is now only 13" deep; it's normally about 20".

My supply of stored rainwater has run out. Should I top the pond up with tap water? I've heard that this is a bad thing, but I'm hating watching the poor fish confined to an ever-dwindling puddle..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much!

I do have some "Tap Safe" (although it's made for aquariums, I assume it's also OK for the pond). Now I just have to guess how much water I've added with the hose-pipe, and add Tap Safe accordingly. Hmmmm...

Ask a Question