Monarchs

Reaction score
Pugle 1's picture, 6 post up from my post here is a male monarch. Males have that black spot on both of their lower wings which hold scent sex pheromones. The viceroy butterflies look similar they mimic the monarch so birds also avoid eating them.
upload_2014-7-30_12-49-39.jpeg

This is a viceroy. Sissys' are swallow tails and there are a black variety too.

Small milkweeds can be transplanted, be sure to dig out the entire carrot like root. Scatter milkweed seeds over a flower bed but dont clean out the expired annuals or cut back the perennials to a foot or lay straw over the seeds. They are thin seeds and dont need to be covered in soil - they are not buried in soil in wild fields and germinate. In May sprouting milkweed is almost as profuse as dandelions in my yard.. The monarch will only lay eggs on milkweeds and the worms will only eat milkweed. Milkweed is a beautiful tall plant that is "free" and can replace the taller hollyhocks, delphiniums in gardens where a tall accent plant is desired.

PUGLE,
Collecting just one or two eggs will give a better success rate then leaving them alone.. You dont have to limit yourself to collecting eggs and worms from your garden milkweed, do collect a few from your local park. Don't take all that you see just a few eggs/worms pluck the leaves from the plant and place in a cheap plastic tupperware. When you get home take care of the eggs/worms immediately and check on them 3 times a day. Give fresh leaves daily and remove droppings. They are docile and will not bite you. The only harm that you can do is not attending to your captive brood. We camp at a state park in Ohio. The following is senseless stupidness - The naturalist has asked the park maintenance crew not to cut down the milkweed growing by fences or in flower beds. Do they heed her request? H.... No! How many eggs and worms have been lost this way? More Harm than Good has been done in this state park. I help her find the eggs and worms when we are camping. It is not against our laws to pick seeds, or pluck a leaf...the law forbids taking an entire plant or animals. I've not seen any laws about insect collecting. I have taken my worms and pupas with me when we go camping and released butterflies while camping. I've gave a worm to my sister in law and she raised it (also had to attach its behind with string after it pupated, this was her first time and she took it to her job when it was ready to emerge and shared the miracle of a butterfly birth with her co-workers.

For you want to try raising them be aware that the worms molt 4 times before it becomes a pupa, two weeks from hatchling to pupa and they are eating machines! The monarch watch website offers loads of info and you can become a member for free. I joined 4 years ago and my garden is named "Wild on the Edges." 24 hours before a molt it goes dormant, wont eat or hardly move. If you look at your worms face with a magnifying glass you will see that his old face plate (mask) is sitting over his new larger face is a sign he is going to molt his skin. In this picture this worm has shedded its skin and the face mask is ready to be shook off. It's new tenticles have not sprung up yet, (they are not antennae) a decorative touch to his head and smaller ones on his back end. Butterflies taste with their feet. Please ask me for help if you want to raise them and check out the Monarch Watch website. :)

th

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I went and look at my milkweed today, no egg or worm or anything :(

You inspired me to try to raise them, Rose, if I can find their egg, that is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Pugle 1's picture, 6 post up from my post here is a male monarch. Males have that black spot on both of their lower wings which hold scent sex pheromones. The viceroy butterflies look similar they mimic the monarch so birds also avoid eating them.
View attachment 73825

This is a viceroy. Sissys' are swallow tails and there are a black variety too.

Small milkweeds can be transplanted, be sure to dig out the entire carrot like root. Scatter milkweed seeds over a flower bed but dont clean out the expired annuals or cut back the perennials to a foot or lay straw over the seeds. They are thin seeds and dont need to be covered in soil - they are not buried in soil in wild fields and germinate. In May sprouting milkweed is almost as profuse as dandelions in my yard.. The monarch will only lay eggs on milkweeds and the worms will only eat milkweed. Milkweed is a beautiful tall plant that is "free" and can replace the taller hollyhocks, delphiniums in gardens where a tall accent plant is desired.

PUGLE,
Collecting just one or two eggs will give a better success rate then leaving them alone.. You dont have to limit yourself to collecting eggs and worms from your garden milkweed, do collect a few from your local park. Don't take all that you see just a few eggs/worms pluck the leaves from the plant and place in a cheap plastic tupperware. When you get home take care of the eggs/worms immediately and check on them 3 times a day. Give fresh leaves daily and remove droppings. They are docile and will not bite you. The only harm that you can do is not attending to your captive brood. We camp at a state park in Ohio. The following is senseless stupidness - The naturalist has asked the park maintenance crew not to cut down the milkweed growing by fences or in flower beds. Do they heed her request? H.... No! How many eggs and worms have been lost this way? More Harm than Good has been done in this state park. I help her find the eggs and worms when we are camping. It is not against our laws to pick seeds, or pluck a leaf...the law forbids taking an entire plant or animals. I've not seen any laws about insect collecting. I have taken my worms and pupas with me when we go camping and released butterflies while camping. I've gave a worm to my sister in law and she raised it (also had to attach its behind with string after it pupated, this was her first time and she took it to her job when it was ready to emerge and shared the miracle of a butterfly birth with her co-workers.

For you want to try raising them be aware that the worms molt 4 times before it becomes a pupa, two weeks from hatchling to pupa and they are eating machines! The monarch watch website offers loads of info and you can become a member for free. I joined 4 years ago and my garden is named "Wild on the Edges." 24 hours before a molt it goes dormant, wont eat or hardly move. If you look at your worms face with a magnifying glass you will see that his old face plate (mask) is sitting over his new larger face is a sign he is going to molt his skin. In this picture this worm has shedded its skin and the face mask is ready to be shook off. It's new tenticles have not sprung up yet, (they are not antennae) a decorative touch to his head and smaller ones on his back end. Butterflies taste with their feet. Please ask me for help if you want to raise them and check out the Monarch Watch website. :)

th
Thanks Rose :) Guess I'll have to give the old college try. TY for identifying sissy's... I thought they might be swallow tails. As for the dark spot on male monarch's wings, I never knew that. THIS is why I love this forum! :)

Reaction score
Nepen, Im glad that you are going to give it a try. Knowing where to look for eggs on the leaf and look in the flower clusters too.. Best way is to observe where the monarch lays her eggs. She will land on a leaf on the plant. Her tail end will curve under the leaf and she will deposit an egg. Most eggs are laid on the underside one half inch from the outside edge of the leaf. Some butterflies lay them while sitting on the flower cluster and that can be anywhere on/in the flower cluster.Use a magnifying glass to find these hidden gems in the flowers. She wiggles her tail end into the cluster and deposits an egg. Some monarchs prefer upper leaves and some lower toward the ground others vary the levels. Dont over look the baby milkweeds either. The egg is shiny and ovoid. The egg is glued to the leaf dont pull it off just take the entire leaf. To find the baby worms look for signs of the leaf being eaten. The tiny worms eat jagged semi circles the size of the top of a 1 karat diamond.or CZ, some may eat perfect tiny holes. Collect as soon as you spot them, the baby worms move quickly.. Look for their droppings like very fine pepper sprinkles. Hatchlins are 1 / 16th inch leaf green with a black head. 36 hours later they are 1/4 th inch and you can see the stripes on them. Be careful flipping the leaves so you dont crush the worms. I hope you find at least one to enjoy the cycle.

The white butterflies that are abundant you can raise one of their eggs You can see them most anytime in the day and watch where one lands on most any plant. I did that out of curiosity and almost as rewarding as the monarchs.

.I am going to research the cycle of the swallow tails. I have them in my yard and have not yet found out how to ID the sex. They require dill, fennel or similar plants that have that type of seed head. Their pupas look like a dead brown curled up leaf.

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Thank you Rose for all of the information. My 3x3 planter is raised about 2 foot and is a solid mass of milkweed which will be a challenge to move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Nepen, Im glad that you are going to give it a try. Knowing where to look for eggs on the leaf and look in the flower clusters too.. Best way is to observe where the monarch lays her eggs. She will land on a leaf on the plant. Her tail end will curve under the leaf and she will deposit an egg. Most eggs are laid on the underside one half inch from the outside edge of the leaf. Some butterflies lay them while sitting on the flower cluster and that can be anywhere on/in the flower cluster.Use a magnifying glass to find these hidden gems in the flowers. She wiggles her tail end into the cluster and deposits an egg. Some monarchs prefer upper leaves and some lower toward the ground others vary the levels. Dont over look the baby milkweeds either. The egg is shiny and ovoid. The egg is glued to the leaf dont pull it off just take the entire leaf. To find the baby worms look for signs of the leaf being eaten. The tiny worms eat jagged semi circles the size of the top of a 1 karat diamond.or CZ, some may eat perfect tiny holes. Collect as soon as you spot them, the baby worms move quickly.. Look for their droppings like very fine pepper sprinkles. Hatchlins are 1 / 16th inch leaf green with a black head. 36 hours later they are 1/4 th inch and you can see the stripes on them. Be careful flipping the leaves so you dont crush the worms. I hope you find at least one to enjoy the cycle.

The white butterflies that are abundant you can raise one of their eggs You can see them most anytime in the day and watch where one lands on most any plant. I did that out of curiosity and almost as rewarding as the monarchs.

.I am going to research the cycle of the swallow tails. I have them in my yard and have not yet found out how to ID the sex. They require dill, fennel or similar plants that have that type of seed head. Their pupas look like a dead brown curled up leaf.

images
I'll need to look for swallowtails. We have the yellow variety here, but you don't see them often. Good to know as I have a garden just full of dill too ;)

Reaction score
Snoozer, you indicated that you did not want to keep the wood plantar. Does the plantar have a bottom? I think the roots would be contained in the plantar. If the bottom rotted or doesn't exist then the roots are in the ground. If it were mine I would take the plantar apart after the milkweed dies back. There should be a square root ball. Divide the ball into a few sections. Plant each clump in separate holes. It is recommended that between 5 to 8 plants grow in a 3 x3 space. Collect the pods and sprinkle the seeds over the transplant area and lightly cover with grass clippings or dusting of soil. This may give you new plants if the transplanting was not sucessful.

I just transplanted a 6 foot milkweed plant because we had a huge puddle each time it rains next to our patio slab where the milkweed was growing. We put paver slabs down tired of getting mud on everything. Since Sunday it has wilted but the root was intact so I'll see what happens to the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Rose! I'm going to keep my eyes out, have not seen one monarch this year. Saw two last year :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
OK... This is a first for me. After keeping milkweed the last few years, we've got our first caterpillar. I guess the monarch that was hanging around a few days back left an egg after all. I take it that is is still a young caterpillar as it's only a half inch long. Two photos: one was on my cell phone ( poor quality ) and the other, was taken by my next door neighbor.
Monarch.JPG
monarch1.jpg

Reaction score
DSCN2408.JPG
DSCN2409.JPG
DSCN2412.JPG
DSCN2413.JPG
DSCN2410 2.jpg
Puglet, Have you collected it? Next time you look he might have moved or a preditor picked him off. Use a shoebox cut a 3 inch round or square hole in lid if you dont have any screening to tape over the hole use a nylon stocking to cover the hole. Same can be done with a larger tupperware. Put the box in the nylon stocking so O2 gets in and the box stays closed. Place a fresh leaf or two in daily and check your worm a few times daily add fresh leaves and dump out the droppings. Put box in a near a window or garage or on a desk. In those pictures the worms head is sort of tucked downward which may indicate he is going to molt within 24 hours. Just leave him be and maybe you might be lucky too see it happen. The skin splits along both sides of its body and with accordian movements he walks out of it. He shakes off his face mask. Most worms will eat the old skin. He will remain quiet for a few hours while his body adjusts to the new skin and then the eating machine continues. Note that the tentacles will be longer. My last picture is a nylon pantyhose slid over the top of the tupperware if you do not want to cut a hole in a lid. Just be sure the nylon is tight against the box. The eggs are kept separate from the worms. The worms are sorted by size. The white boxes i use are discards from the medical center where Al works and I use one as the box and the other is the lid with clips holding them together at the rims. Good Luck Rose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
View attachment 73960 View attachment 73961 View attachment 73963 View attachment 73964 View attachment 73965 Puglet, Have you collected it? Next time you look he might have moved or a preditor picked him off. Use a shoebox cut a 3 inch round or square hole in lid if you dont have any screening to tape over the hole use a nylon stocking to cover the hole. Same can be done with a larger tupperware. Put the box in the nylon stocking so O2 gets in and the box stays closed. Place a fresh leaf or two in daily and check your worm a few times daily add fresh leaves and dump out the droppings. Put box in a near a window or garage or on a desk. In those pictures the worms head is sort of tucked downward which may indicate he is going to molt within 24 hours. Just leave him be and maybe you might be lucky too see it happen. The skin splits along both sides of its body and with accordian movements he walks out of it. He shakes off his face mask. Most worms will eat the old skin. He will remain quiet for a few hours while his body adjusts to the new skin and then the eating machine continues. Note that the tentacles will be longer. My last picture is a nylon pantyhose slid over the top of the tupperware if you do not want to cut a hole in a lid. Just be sure the nylon is tight against the box. The eggs are kept separate from the worms. The worms are sorted by size. The white boxes i use are discards from the medical center where Al works and I use one as the box and the other is the lid with clips holding them together at the rims. Good Luck Rose
WOW! ... Very cool indeed!.I haven't prepared anything in order to collect it, but I did check this morning... still there on a different leaf. Sadly, I have much to do today, and can't start on a container. Plus you said to check on then 3 times a day. With my job, I just haven't got the time to do that :( I leave at 4am and sometime's I'm not back home until 7 pm or later. I love that last photo.... 6 chrysilis I'm impressed :) I wish I had the time to do this, but in the mean time, I'll keep watch of the little one we have. If it goes to another plant it won't be hard to track down. My milkweeds are all in a clump, so it wouldn't go far.

Reaction score
No Problem Pugle. Put it in any box,cereal/ noodle snack food box cakemix box whatever is on hand / NOODLE BOX WITH THE CELEPHANE HOLE. Kleenix box (scentless). cover with wax paper or stretch plastic wrap. Punc toothpick holes in it. Ok to check once a day to be sure it has food and dump droppings out. This wont take a moment more of your time setting it up. You can keep the box closed without air holes for a 8 hours then make your hole in it and cover with a mesh so he cant get out and predators cant get in.

I lost my job 3 years ago and obviously i have time to enjoy most of the stuff i do without the rush to get to work etc. I understand your time limits. The lay off was a blessing in most ways. Miss the money but that is about all. Retirement is bliss and i dont miss the rushing craz ee ness!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Got it in a good sized mason jar with holes in the lid. I'll get a bigger container when I get a chance. Giving it a try. We had another monarch fluttering around yesterday, and I think she was laying eggs.

Reaction score
Pugle, That's great. When the worm is 2 inches long it will be ready to pupate. A box that is 8 inches or higher is needed for the butterfly emergence and unfurling of its wings. The worm will climb to the underside of the top of the box doesn't matter what material. He will just sits there dormant. Later you will see that his but end is fixed to the lid by a ball of silk. Then it hangs in a J shape and later pupation begins. It will emerge and hang by its pupa skin and the wings need room around and below him to unfurl. I released 3 monarchs this morning (from yesterday's emergence), 2 male 1 female. Then later a thunderstorm hit. As a "MOM" lol i worried. When the sun peeked out a monarch was flitting in the flower garden. Ran out and it was a female and she was laying eggs. My female??? I collected 5 eggs so far....rained heavy off and on...She was laying eggs on the seed pods. I took the seeds pods in and found 2 eggs (of the five) I saw her lay eggs on other pods but will use a magni glass on it to try to find them then collect those pods. When rain is over i will be combing all of the leaves looking for eggs. Your worm and these eggs should be butterflies by first week of September and will make their way to Mexico.
Also 7 butterflies emerged from their pupas. Your worm's pupa will be a light green. When it is close to emerging the coloring will show dark areas. The day before it will be a dark green changing to black overnight. You will see the tiny orange winds.
Enjoy your worm. If you have concerns contact me.

Ask a Question