Monster heater

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Last week my hot water heater sprung a leak out the top, so after a frantic day I have new tank in the house... However the old hot water heater still functions just fine. It got me thinking, is there a way to repurpose the burner to use in an open (no pressure) tank around the pond? It seems like natural gas would be a lot more efficient than electric heaters.

The two major problems I see right off would be getting a black-pipe line out where I need it (only about 30 feet from where the line enters the house), and I would need a different thermostat for the temperature range (ideally keep the water at 35F). Everything on the old hot water heater, including the electronic ignition, still works fine. I wouldn't want to keep the full height of the tank though (no place to hide it), but if I could keep 1/3 of the height, have one of the water pumps feed water in, and add an outlet pipe to drain the warmer water back into the pond, it could make for a really nice addition when we have those bone-chilling cold spells.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone seen it done before, or have suggestions on making it possible?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Take out a second mortgage to pay the plumber for 30 feet of gas line and installation.
Get a second job to pay the gas bill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Your water heater will be no where near powerful enough and you will just burn it out trying to heat your pond with it.
Sorry.:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Isn't the inside of some of the hot water heaters copper or is that the old ones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm not trying to raise the water temperature significantly, usually just a few degrees makes a difference. I wonder what the conversion rate is between a 1500W electric heater and the BTU's of a gas heater?

Sissy - the old ones, sure, but I doubt they use anything of such high quality these days.

Ask a Question