Montmorillonite clay how many members use it and of its importance to koi and goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Montmorillonite clay is something that weve been using now for many a year how many of our members use it and for those of you who dont what is its importance to our kio and goldfish?
Montmorillonite clay is the koi keepers answer to the breeders mud pools in Japan , we first came across it when it was little known in the koi world here in th UK brought to our attention by a member of our Sister South Devon Club who had set up in business "using the high grade high purity, Calcium rich clay that abounds here in the South West of the UK and is resposible for the iconic white mountains of Cornwall which were the spoil end results of ground minimg by english China Clay, which are now sadly disapearing being used instead for making high grade tiles (the ultimate in recycling)", for sale to our koi to mimic the results of the Japanese mud ponds with great results
So why dump clay into your pond it seems a stupid thing to do right, I mean your dumping clay into the pond even though its been refined into a fine white powder, wrong its the best thing you can do.
It helps coat the gut of your koi and enables the gut walls to take in much much of the vitamins potiens oils etc that the food manufacturers add to their pelleted foods thus more growth , the same can be said for our goldfish though they have stomachs where koi dont.
Unless you own a mud pond which some of our koi/goldfish owners set up for their fish then your koi/ goldfish will be lacking in important trace elements such as Calcium and other minerals and trace elements.
So basically it remineralises water, improves water clarity by attracting fine particles to it then (in laymans terms) binds those those particles to it so that it can be caught by your filter.....rather than pass through it........ it is a process called fluctulation.
So what benifits do our koi and goldfish gain from the use of Montmorrillonite clay on a regular basis ?
Basically in our koi and goldfish the user will see great improvements to the colour and lustre of ur fish ,it also aids the health of our fish and promotes growth because it helps to stimulates the appetite of our fish.
It retails under many names but is all basically the same so ask your dealership or fish store owner if the stock it , if they dont go online to any koi dealership website and they wil be more than happy to sell you some.
So all in all Montmorillonite clay has some great health benifits for our fish it can be use once a month on your pond and it helps keep your water crystal clear and if you have never used it before please give it a try

Dave:)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dave- I use it in my ponds when I do water changes and also mix it in with the food. I have seen a difference since using it with water clarity. It's not cheap!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use it on my pond. I mix it in a separate container then pour into the stream which in turn puts it into the pond. The fish love when I do it. They hang out at the falls and at the bottom in the clay that is coming into the water from the stream. It is a little pricey but I noticed some clearer water my self. I am not sure if it is the clay but seeing a difference. The container says the water could stay cloudy for days. Mine clears up within a 1/2 hour.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We started using koi clay last year and I agree! I can't speak to the health benefits for our fish (although I believe it is an important source of nutrients) but our water is crystal clear. We typically dump it on the shelf in our "feeding zone" and the fish go CRAZY for it. If they were dogs, they'd be rolling in it. They will spend hours picking around in the gravel.

Thanks for the reminder - need to order a new supply!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
mrsclem if you can get NTlabs koi food across the pond they do a feed with the clay specialy mixed in with the ingrediants of their Health and Beauty koi food .
Question are any of you awareof a product called FOC Bio Factor VL ?
What is it its a type of pink clay you can put into your QT system on a daily basis to help in the recovery of sick fish .
Weve used it on a number of occaisions in the past with great results and the koi supported by it all made good recoverys and are still with us today , if you can get it across the pond I highly recomend it use with your koi:-

http://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Water-Treatments/FOK-BIO-Factor-VL-sc-569.html

There is also another product we use which is a clay only found in certain areas of Japan so in actually fact yu are indeed mimicing those all important Japanese Mud Ponds it does basically the same as montmorrilonite but its from the home of koi .
We use it pre show for stunning results :-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat779.html

We hope this helps you all ?

Dave

Last edited:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Dave, thats flocculation, not floctulation. lol
you know, plain unscented clay kitty litter is also a bentonite clay, altho not as mineral rich.
TetraPond makes a liquid treatment that also replenishes trace minerals ...its called Koi Vital.
KOI VITAL
Formulated to contain essential trace elements and vitamins. Recreates "natural" conditions in which Koi and goldfish thrive. Promotes greater vitality and improved circulation in Koi. Enhances coloration, and Induces sexual activity in Koi and other cold-water fish.
  • 16.9 fl. oz. bottle treats 2,500 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, thats flocculation, not floctulation. lol
you know, plain unscented clay kitty litter is also a bentonite clay, altho not as mineral rich.
TetraPond makes a liquid treatment that also replenishes trace minerals ...its called Koi Vital.
KOI VITAL
Formulated to contain essential trace elements and vitamins. Recreates "natural" conditions in which Koi and goldfish thrive. Promotes greater vitality and improved circulation in Koi. Enhances coloration, and Induces sexual activity in Koi and other cold-water fish.
  • 16.9 fl. oz. bottle treats 2,500 gallons.
I stand humbly corrected my koi friend I know what I meant whats the odd L and missing C between friends :LOL: obviously you havent heard of Koivits by NTlabs does the same Job.
However you cant beat a bit of mother earth when it comes to her creatures m,mmm they love a bit of clay you see it throughout nature the clay.
Yes kitty litter clay is for pooping on perhaps it'll be mineral rich then my friend :D
Have you ever tried the FOC Bio FactorVL yet its brilliant stuff buy some and try it out :cool:

Dave(y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The gravel roads around here are clay based. We get a let of dust blowing into the pond in the drier seasons.
Would that be just as good for the goldfish?
I haven't heard of koi clay before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What about kitty liter does that add any benefits?
Of course your cat knows what part of the pond to use ;) I am not sure if kitty litter is as good but I know from using both that the clay dissolves much nicer then the kitty litter which I use in all my lily pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's not koi clay MitchM its just that the koi dealers have termed it that, goldfish and koi are kissing cousins so whats good for the goose is good for the gander they all need vital minerals and trace eliments in their diet so I cant see it doing any harm to them and it might help bring out the lustre and colouration of goldfish even further.:D
Why not buy some and esperiment a little and report back on the results.:cool:

Dave :)

Reaction score
How do you apply the clay? If its a powder and you sprinkle it into the pond wont the pump just suck it all up and deposit it into the filters ?? And how do the fish eat the clay? This all sounds very strange......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How do you apply the clay? If its a powder and you sprinkle it into the pond wont the pump just suck it all up and deposit it into the filters ?? And how do the fish eat the clay? This all sounds very strange......
It does sound strange, doesn't it? I find the clay sinks very quickly and coats the gravel on the shelf where we sprinkle it. The fish pick through the gravel, eating the clay as they go. When we sprinkle the clay it creates a bit of a cloud in the water - our fish race to get into the cloud and swim through it over and over until it's cleared. I assume they know what they're doing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Willo when we treat our pond with the clay you'll find it easier to mix the clay in a lage container of the ponds water and then gently pour it around the pond, it all disapates around the pond covering all surfaces sides and bottom of the pond.
Then koi in the meantime are taking it in and the remainder through the act of flocculation, attracts to it any fine debris that may be floating in the water which is then taken down into the bottom drain and out to the filters where the water is then polished leaving these fine particles where they should be in he filters returning crystal clear water back to the pond.
If you dont have a bottom drain it will still be taken up particles and all into your filter resulting in the sam crystal clear water that we see on our pond but then its job has been successful too fold the koi get their trace elements etc the water gets clear

Dave

Last edited:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use koi clay also I just add how ever many scoops I want under the water falls and let the water stir it up

It clears up fast & the next day the water does look better

Ask a Question