Mosquitoes.. I need ideas.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think I figured it out... I'm thinking it's my water hyacinths. They have grown big time and I hear they attract mosquitoes.

While Water Hyacinths do not actually attract mosquitoes, they do aid in their breeding.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission states that Water Hyacinth mats provide ideal breeding environments for mosquitoes.
The CDC says that Water Hyacinth can be a breeding habitat for mosquitoes, whose larvae use the plants to anchor themselves against waves.
Seldom will one find Mats of plants in a Garden Pond and as for providing an anchor for the larvae, it would seem that any floating plant would provide the exact same advantage for mosquitoes even Water Lilies.
If you have Koi and/or Goldfish mosquito larvae are not a problem. The water is what attracts the gravid females, but once they lay their eggs its 'lights out' for any skeeters that hatch.

Ask a Question