Mosquitos. Darn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Maybe I don't need to worry about the pond so much.

I'll get the torches out, and enjoy!
It has been breezy the last few days and the mosquitoes are at a minimum, at least as far as biting.

I would still like to get a small bucket out there and look for larvae, but with this many fish (I think I saw at least 6 small ones,
4" or so that I haven't spotted before!) it really shouldn't be a problem.

And whpo knows what the neighbors have in their yards?
There seem to be more people than ever who have decided not to care for their yards. It drives my hubby crazy, but
some people are cutting back (water, fertilizer) and some are plain lazy....

don't ask, I think you are right, son Brandon showed me the life stages of mosquitos on his iPhone, and we were mainly talking about
eggs and larvae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hope you solve the problem. For me, this was the one single reason I decided to enclose my pond; I had NEVER used my backyard to just sit in and enjoy, simply because I have so many mosquitos. You don't need open, unmoving water as I had none of that (before I put in the pond last summer) but since I water regularly, there's more than enough damp spots for the critters to breed. Now, the pondhouse is the BEST place to be; had only one mosquito, and that one probably slipped in when someone opened the door. That said, got bit by 4 of them the other night, sitting IN THE HOUSE, watching tv. Sheesh. Gotta add a waterproof tv to the pondhouse, I guess...

Michael

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With my stream, that does not run all of the time, we have some good mosquito breeding spots. So far I have seen only one of those blood suckers.

I think with the birds (I put up over 40 bird houses) the frogs, dragon flies, fish, the mosquitoes don't have a chance. We have had very few, even with my neighbor having a dead green stagnant pool all last summer. The liner broke so now at least it is dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
After trying to live with the little devils for another week, I bought some Microbe-Lift Mosquito Control.
It worked over night!
I just wonder how to store the excess, it is in a suspension of who knows what.
Smells like $h__. Literally.
Refrigerate?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe there is a phone # or email address on the container you can contact to ask how to store it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did a search on safety of the product and found this about storage:

H. WINTER ISSUES:

H1. Do I need to worry about Microbe-lift products becoming unusable if they get frozen over the winter? Can these be stored in the garage over the winter season, or do I need to bring them inside?

The MICROBE-LIFT products, such as the liquid bacteria, will remain viable once they thaw, if frozen. However, they will lose some viability, about 10%, with each freeze/thaw cycle, so it is better if they do not freeze at all.
H2. Should the products be used during the winter months?

MICROBE-LIFT products can be used continuously all year, even if used under the layer of ice. If there is a layer of ice on the pond a heater or de-icer can be used to maintain a hole in the ice for gas exchange. Otherwise stimulating biological activity can be detrimental. If the products are under icy water they will continue to work, however they will not proliferate at the rate they would at 65-70ºF.

H3. How should MICROBE-LIFT products be stored?

A cellar, garage or shed should provide the necessary protection. The ideal storage temperatures are between 40-105ºF.

I. SUMMER ISSUES:

I1. How should MICROBE-LIFT products be stored?

Products should be protected from extreme heat and direct sunlight. Live Microbelift microbes can withstand heat up to 105ºF before starting to die. A cellar, garage or shed (but not in an attic in the shed) should provide the necessary protection during summer months. The ideal storage temperatures are between 40-105ºF.

I2. Does the water need to be a certain temperature for the bacteria to work?

For MICROBE-LIFT/PL, Professional Blend Liquid, Ensure, TheraP and Sludge Away, the temperature should be 45ºF or above. For ML/ Autumn/ Winter Prep, the bacteria are psychrophiles, low temperature strains, that are active below 45ºF.

J. PRODUCT FRESHNESS / STORAGE / SHELF LIFE

J1. How should MICROBE-LIFT products be stored?

Products should be protected from extreme heat and direct sunlight. It can withstand heat up to 105ºF before starting to die. A cellar, garage or shed (but not in an attic in the shed) should provide the necessary protection during summer months. The ideal storage temperatures are between 40-105ºF

J2. What is the shelf life for the liquid bacterial products?

Approximately 2 years in unopened container, 1 year after being opened if stored properly.

J3. Is there a listing of expiration dates on products?

No, they do not list expiration dates on the products. There is a batch number on each that can be traced when necessary. (See shelf-life for more information.)

J4. What is the shelf life of the dry products such as the enzyme products?

All of our dry biological products, and the dry bio-products with added enzyme and other support material have an extended shelf life well beyond our two year stated claim. The dry formulations consist of multiple strains of spore forming microorganisms and these microorganisms can stay in the spore form (dormant state) for an indefinite period of time when properly stored. The method of microbial activation is two fold:
a) the addition of water;
B) the presence of waste organic matter.

Both of these factors are required to active the microbes and get their biological oxidation process going. Without these they remain dormant but viable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Thank you, jw, I found almost the same info!
No, it doesn't harm fish or other creatures or plants, it says.

sdjfhjk, I think you mean the skimmers? No, they would get sucked into the pumps. Mosquito Fish can't live in

a bird bath, they need filtered, moving water, plants to live among and oxygen. I'm not sure what you are asking, actually.

The problem seems to be solved, hubby sat on the patio for an hour this morning: no mosquitos.
I sat on the patioo for over an hour around noon and didn't see even one!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Try planting marigolds around your pond area. Someone told us and i must say, been an improvement for sure. Hasn't stop them but at least made a natural difference.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mosquitos don't like marigolds? that is good to know.

Found this too:

Plants that Repel Mosquitoes - Citronella Grass
Citronella grass is, of course, where companies get the citronella oil. This oil is put in candles and lanterns that can be burned in your yard to repel mosquitoes. Citronella grass is actually a tropic plant that grows to be six feet tall, so it might not be practical in the average suburban backyard.
Plants that Repel Mosquitoes - Catnip
Catnip is an herb that is most commonly used to stuff in toys or feed to cats for their enjoyment. However, the oil from this plant has actually been found to be more than ten times better at repelling mosquitoes than DEET. Planting this plant near your patio or deck will help repel mosquitoes.
Plants that Repel Mosquitoes - Rosemary
This garden herb also has an oil that repels mosquitoes. While they are attractive plants that both repel mosquitoes and can add interest to your cooking, they are truly tropical plants that are not hardy in cold climates. You can, however, grow rosemary in a pot and take it inside in the winter.
Plants that Repel Mosquitoes - Marigolds
Marigolds have a particular smell that many insects and humans find objectionable. They are a good plant for repelling mosquitoes as well as insects that can attack vegetable plants and aphids. Marigolds are annuals with bright flowers that range from lemon yellow to dark oranges and reds.
Plants that Repel Mosquitoes - Mosquito Plants
There are actually plants on the market that are simply called Mosquito plants. They are advertised as a plant that repels mosquitoes. There are different schools of thoughts on these plants. Some say they do nothing to repel mosquitoes, while other swear by them. More often than not, you can only find them through mail order and internet sales.
While all these plants repel mosquitoes in your yard, you can also make all-natural mosquito repellant from them. Simply crush the leaves or flowers to release the oils and put them in a quantity of alcohol or vodka. Once the mosquito repellant oils have infused the liquid, you can use it just as you would one of the more harmful chemical repellants.
Planting these plants that repel mosquitoes is a great choice for your yard. Not only is it an earth-friendly way of dealing with these pests, it will add beauty to your gardens, and will not jeopardize your health. These five plants that repel mosquitoes are great choices.

Reaction score
Gr8 information Addy1. My cousin is into holistic practises and she swears by oil of Eucalyptisin water sprayed lightly on dogs b4 they go outside and once they come in. Just a light misting keeps bugs off the dogs...not sure about cats as they lick themselves. She lives in WI and uses this all the time. Supposed to repel ticks and fleas as well.

:goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Try planting marigolds around your pond area. Someone told us and i must say, been an improvement for sure. Hasn't stop them but at least made a natural difference.

Thank you! I forgot that when I was growing vegetables organically (well, I still do it but not on a large scale)
I practiced "companion planting" which is planting certain plants next to each other that help each other.
Marigolds are a natural repellent, and I like them a lot!

Thank you, Addy, did I thank you?
Lots of good info, and I ALWAYS appreciate more info on natural and holistic solutions.
I use melaleuca (tea tree oil) indoors to repel spiders (diluted, 1 drop to a pint of water, sprayed) as well as for healing.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Mosquito Fish can't live in a bird bath, they need filtered, moving water, plants to live among and oxygen. I'm not sure what you are asking, actually.

Don't quote me on this, a birbath is a lot smaller than a swiiming pool, but after hurricane Katrina, they had so many people pools that were bredding grounds for misquitos, they started going around a dumping 50 of so fish into each pool, they spawn so often that the pools would soon have hundreds, if not thousands of fish in them to help control the misquitos population. All in nasty, unfiltered, pools full of garbage from the hurricane. So those little guys are survivors and could probably live in a birdbath just fine.

found a website bout it
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/07/060725-katrina.html

Ask a Question