Mosquitos. Darn!

Reaction score
Not wanting my swimming pool w the split liner to breed mosquitos was the reason I currently have an above ground 24' pond. DH was unemployed, could not afford to replace the liner and did not want to take it down and could not afford to purchase something to put in its' place. GF told me to flip in a few feeder goldfish from Walmart and the rest is history! :LOL:

:goldfish:

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
That how mine started too! Just a 16 foot pool with the edge that you blow up, didnt hold air, patched a few times and finally said screw it, i'll cut the bottom out of it and use if for a pond liner. I did dig mine down though, didnt last long when it froze the first time, didnt hold water the next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok, so two questions out of these posts:

1. Do mosquito dunks hurt Koi or Goldfish?
2. Do the dunks also hurt dogs if they happen to drink the pond water ( or my 2 year grandson too )?
3. Is there anything special you have to do with mosquito eater fish?

I bought about one dozen to put into my pond, they all died pretty quickly. I guess if there are no larve, they don't eat??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
http://www.pestproducts.com/mosquito_dunks.htm

They are safe, it is a biological control

Active Ingredients: Bacillus thuringiensis ... 10.00%
Each dunk kills mosquito larvae for 30 days or more. Mosquito Dunks float on water and will keep on working for 30 days or longer under typical environmental conditions. While floating, they slowly release a long-term, biological mosquito larvicide at the water's surface. This larvicide gradually settles in the water where it is eaten by mosquito larvae growing there.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they would have died, they eat algae and plants and all sorts of other things too, so they wouldn't just die because there isn't mosquitoes in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. I am not sure why they died either unless they just were not use to the water yet. My Koi are doing fine.

Ask a Question