My adult koi

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
pic. # 9 is more a bekko

If it didn't have any red at all yes, it would be a clear Shiro bekko, all the books I have show bekko as two colors, never three.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
notice i said "more a bekko" not "is a bekko" but "hi shiro bekko" describes it best..........in reality its a domestic koi by their standards its a mutt!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, here is what I am going by koiguy. LOl, I hate calling them mutts, but sometimes I guess if they can't fit directly into a class I guess that's what they are, I was just trying to classify TMann's earlier and his is even harder than yours! At least with yours ther are descriptions that help!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 312

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Where are you getting that? I have a old Axlerod Koi book the was copy rights in 1973, printed in 1974. I started off identiifying with that book. So many improvements have been made in koi and some of the changes have actually re-classified some koi. For instance, Matsuba, which was pine cone look on the back in the early eighties, changed after the the doitsu type started showing up, making them entered as Matsuba too. It get confusing and I'm really just a beginner when if come to classifying. I'm planning on attending my first Koi show in Sept. It will be intresting to say the least. I have 100's of questions and probably won't get to ask but a small percentage without looking like a complete idiot but I really want to attend and get more into koi identification. LOL, I was looking at fish that were show champions in 1973 and most of those same fish wouldn't even be entered into the MUTT class in todays shows. :lol:

I see you deleted it between the time you posted and the time I posted this.. lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i deleted it because i cut and pasted it & the way it was showing up here was jumbled up so i was fixing it and had to leave the computer for a possible emergency with one of the twins here (2 years old). didnt think there was enough time to finish it on 'edit' time. had no idea that anyone was posting on it!
http://www.cnykoi.com/koiid/main.asp

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was able to read it, SOMEWHAT, lol Hope it wasn't a emergency, got to keep an eye on them terrible two's x two, They got that name for a reason, even though their not that terrible at that age. They just call it that because they hadn't experienced teenagers yet!
I'd rather they be safe and we call the a sumi orengi. I'll have to get a picture of Hi Sumi for you. lol That's its actual name, it's a kind of different showa. I'll try and get a pic.

Attachments

• mothers day pics 054.jpg
    mothers day pics 054.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 206

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
any resemblance? i dont see it!..i will call it a "sumi orenji" its definately orange, and its back spots, not solid patterns. sumi is black spots,and orenji is orange. i bet most people would agree that that should be its proper name, if in fact its not. i will take a pic of it to my koi dealer (freinds) and see what they would or wouldnt call it. i may be going monday or Tuesday.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, no resemblence, Not in that one. We just call it that because it's basically a red and black showa, It's getting a lot of white patching on in right now in the heat, Early in the spring there was very little white on that fish at all.
Here is a pic of the one that I have that is very similar to yours.

Attachments

• sumi orengi.jpg
    sumi orengi.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 229

Ask a Question