My Female Sanke is losing color

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
male will grow slower and leaner compared to female koi so in weight female koi will grow much faster will eat more and produce more , if ur concerned about colour then female will not develop colours as quick as of male , female koi takes few years until its colours will ripe like its red or black will ripe to full maturity when its grown up . usually if the orange goes away not much chance that it will come back that strong , but sumi black will go away in mid age then may come back strongly .
if u see orange is deep thick and not just on surface then u can improve it by food and less stress .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
male will grow slower and leaner compared to female koi so in weight female koi will grow much faster will eat more and produce more , if ur concerned about colour then female will not develop colours as quick as of male , female koi takes few years until its colours will ripe like its red or black will ripe to full maturity when its grown up . usually if the orange goes away not much chance that it will come back that strong , but sumi black will go away in mid age then may come back strongly .
if u see orange is deep thick and not just on surface then u can improve it by food and less stress .
Hi there, I was wondering where you had gone! :)

The only fish I'm concerned about in regards of color loss, is my female Sanke! I got her last year, when I turned in most of my larger koi and replaced them with 6-9" babies
....she started being chased by males (2 larger koi and 2 shubunkins) the minute I introduced her in the pond, and a year later she is still the only one being chased, now she's gradually losing her red on her head, and fading to orange on her body.

She is the only fish in the pond losing color, so I assumed it is due to spawning stress!
I purchased Blue Ridge color enhanced pellets, but now I worry that the blue on other fish (Blue Doitsu Gin Matsuba) will be compromised...do I have reason to worry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi there, I was wondering where you had gone! :)

The only fish I'm concerned about in regards of color loss, is my female Sanke! I got her last year, when I turned in most of my larger koi and replaced them with 6-9" babies
....she started being chased by males (2 larger koi and 2 shubunkins) the minute I introduced her in the pond, and a year later she is still the only one being chased, now she's gradually losing her red on her head, and fading to orange on her body.

She is the only fish in the pond losing color, so I assumed it is due to spawning stress!
I purchased Blue Ridge color enhanced pellets, but now I worry that the blue on other fish (Blue Doitsu Gin Matsuba) will be compromised...do I have reason to worry?
hi , thnx , i was around hope ur fine )
there are 2 things , one is fading and other is loosing colour , if u can show pic we can judge better

sanke is kohaku with black spots so i can tell u about it , kohaku will have same orange spots and markings as it is when its around 5 inch , just some firm marks/spots will enlarge and as whole it will shrink down as some markings will b lost and borders will sharpen.define

what u need to see is how deep is the colour under skin and how firm it is some times its visible even beneath skin and comes out later it shud not b dark red in fry rather shud b thick beneath then it will become richer later on even if its pale orange as young kohaku but if it has weak genes then all of it can go away too and never come back which is inevitable even if u feed him colour enhancer that will not fix this .

u can fix the pale orange or fadding parts if it has that in genes then that can b made stronger but it will not bring back lost markings as far as i know ,

i guess fading can b due to stress or environment and will b temporary but if some patches are missing they will not come back . in winters colours will brighten up

about colour food, its said not to use it alot or not to over dose it , it does effect the white , so u shud add little bit below there recommendation , each food is different but it shud contain shrimps or spirulina preferably

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i guess fading can b due to stress or environment and will b temporary but if some patches are missing they will not come back .
It looks like her red first fades then disappears starting at her face/head, and working it's way towards the tail.
When I got her last year she was 10.5" long, she was bright red almost everywhere except her face with black spots on her back....I didn't notice she was losing color until her head turned white! Then I noticed the original bright red was only towards the tail, the rest of it, was more orange....I suppose she will eventually lose all the red and orange, but will she lose the black also?

Taking a pic is not very easy but I'll try!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I forgot to ask you about Doitsu Blue Gin Matsuba, do they lose color easily too?

Ask a Question