My koi are spawning!

Reaction score
This makes the second spring they have spawned. I made my own spawning ropes from yarn, tide them to a pole then laid the pole across the pond to let the fish get use to them for a few days. Just like last year, the water temp reached 68 degrees and morning brought a strong fishy smell, frothy bubbles and cloudy water. Doing a water change today and storms are expected over night. Might have more eggs tomorrow. Gotta get busy making more mops. I removed the others because the koi will eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations your a koi Mammy lol.
On a serious note take extra care with the water perameters because the spawning can play havoc with your water perameters ,

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Your are right, Dave. We have learned that from previous years. I am a water keeper first; Koi, second. Have a blessed day!
Dave 54 said:
Congratulations your a koi Mammy lol.
On a serious note take extra care with the water perameters because the spawning can play havoc with your water perameters ,

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
With my pond and koi. Every year is like clock work. When the water temp is dead on 68 degrees, rainy weather combined with a water change = spawning. The water and pond conditions plays a big part too. I do water test twice weekly but pretty much let nature run its course. I have 2 females one is a shushui, she is very reliable with spawning. The other is a Shiro Bekko, she is not. The males are after her but I'm not sure if she will spawn. With the cool temps and rainy weather, they have plenty of opportunity. I'm taking notes and learning every day. Have a blessed day
SC-Koi said:
How long will the Spawning Continue??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your are right, Dave. We have learned that from previous years. I am a water keeper first; Koi, second. Have a blessed day!
There was once a water expert called Manky Sanke who over the years has taught me alott Syd his real name weve never met but we we call each other friends I believe he coined the fraze Become a Keeper of Water Before becoming a keeper of koi, it still hold true to this very day.

rgrds

Dave

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Camp. The first thing I do after the Koi have spawned and have been removed from the pond is make a one third water change from the bottom of the pond. I make sure that the pump is in a mesh basked covered all over with quilting baton so no young can be sucked up. I put the pump on a piece of matting to keep it off the quilting baton. If you have to use conditioners to remove chlorine and chloramines, do so for the health of the spawn.
I also keep the filter running in the same basket after the water changes are done.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Ask a Question