My pond had a visitor today

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built this pond last summer and we had our first visitor today (that I know of). I was working outside and when I came back to the pond area I noticed this giant bird LOL, standing on the corner. It saw me and flew away. My pond still has the net over it so who knows what would have happened if I didnt come back around. Watch the video....I like how it walks on the patio and around to the pond. Like tippy toeing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Im located in Long Island NY. I think it was a crane but not sure. Now Im a little worried to remove the netting. What should I do?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have fish and wish to keep them, leave the netting on! Herons and crains will keep returning once they find an easy meal.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my. He is really analyzing your pond! I'm with mrsclem. I would leave the net on.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep he may go back and tell his friends the treasure he found .He really did scope the place out good

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Free food! The heron came to our pond every day for summers until I netted the pond, wide weave high hanging net. Finally stopped them.
Tried fencing, fishing line alligator heads nope bird too smart

They sure are pretty to watch.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never, never will you be able to take that net off or no more fish. I too have the wide weave, high netting on my pond forever and ever Amen! These birds do not forget!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have quite a few small goldfish in the pond and one that is about 7in.

I'm wondering what would happen if the net wasn't there. I think it's safe to assume that crane would have went right into the water right? What do they typically stand on the water's edge and just pick out the fish that they want LOL

Damn, I really wanted to take the net off

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have quite a few small goldfish in the pond and one that is about 7in.

I'm wondering what would happen if the net wasn't there. I think it's safe to assume that crane would have went right into the water right? What do they typically stand on the water's edge and just pick out the fish that they want LOL

Damn, I really wanted to take the net off

They will stand at the waters edge or stand in the water if it isn’t too deep. I’ve seen herons standing in water right up to there belly, hunting fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
You can try a decoy...works for me...I haven't had a single heron since putting up the heron decoy. Now I have to add that I move it every two or three days. I know that many people on this site have not had luck with the decoys but my experience has been good. I would hate to keep a net on my pond 24/7....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a Great Blue Heron visit a few days ago.....stood at least 4 feet tall ! We have a shade sail over the pond and a fence around the pond, but I'm not taking any chances ! I've got my mesh net on currently and am placing an order for a wide weave net very soon to hang high over the pond , tomorrow or Friday.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was a Snowy Egret , I agree with jhn decoys are a temp fix . The only other OPTION IS THE SCARECROW. it 's a sprinkler with a motion sensor i tried them and was not impressed.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That was a Snowy Egret , I agree with jhn decoys are a temp fix . The only other OPTION IS THE SCARECROW. it 's a sprinkler with a motion sensor i tried them and was not impressed.

Tried the Scarecrow too, watched it blast the heron three times before it flew away. Agree was not impressed with it half the time it wouldn’t go off and then when it did it wouldn’t always shoot a hard enough stream. The only upside was watching my kids get blasted by it when I told them I added something new to the pond and see if they could find it.

Ask a Question