My pond progression( DIY Skippy, inherited pond renovation)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, How did you make a spillway in a stock tank/bog? Is it an 8" waterfall spillway that you cut in half and screw to the tank? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pond boss spillway.jpg
    pond boss spillway.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 7
  • bog spout3.jpg
    bog spout3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
never played with stock tanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just made two inch holes and put in pvc pipes. With some rock work looks just fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just made two inch holes and put in pvc pipes. With some rock work looks just fine.
Same. Not as nice as a spillway, but much easier to do. Uniseals work well and are inexpensive. If you have 2 outlets, each capable of of the entire expected flow rate, it should be reliable.

In this pic you can see how I used a single 2" PVC through the tank (bottom middle of pic) and used a wye to create 2 ways for the water to enter. This is for about a 500gph system fed by a single 1" pvc, so the 2" pvc should flow 4x what is needed. The 2 intakes with the gutterguard shielding decrease the chances of the intakes getting blocked.

20230616_080134.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rat enter.gif
@mtbdavid2
Did you already buy that or just looking online for one? If you don't have it yet I would do as the above posters suggested as too big of cuts in that pond might not be good. Not enough strength might happen and it could bow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi there, How did you make a spillway in a stock tank/bog? Is it an 8" waterfall spillway that you cut in half and screw to the tank? Thanks in advance!
Here's a replacement weir/spillway that bolts on. I can't find any black plastic ones offhand (although you could surely scavenge one off an old skimmer box).
Be sure it's well sealed. Ideally, it should come with a rubber gasket, but silicone caulk made for aquariums will suffice.
https://pondwarehouse.com/replacement-waterfall-lip-small-aquafalls/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make one using lexan/ plexi glass very simple cuts similar to wood. The glue is a solvert that bonds very much like pvc. In seconds .use a hair drier or heat gun to bend over the edges if that's what you like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If that is the only o2 source then I recomend never getting koi. Shubbies or gold fish and keep the stock low

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you tell me where you got the waterfall portion? Was it one unit or did you install that? I need to create a turtle pond, seperate from my fish, so he doesn't have sushi. I want to use a container like that and have it waterfall into the fish pond.

Ask a Question