Need planting ideas for Alberta Canada

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Weather is good till late Oct, so have time for some planting around waterfall and pond edge. Wondering what plants, shrubs, flowers do well here. Frozen 5-6 months of the year.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What no one in Alberta besides me and Mad Hatter have a pond??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Knowing what zone you are in will help. Being near the ocean makes a huge difference in the climate, and more importantly, the ground frost. Honestly your best bet is to talk to folks at a local nursery. They know the climate and can help you select plants that will do well in your area. Native plants will always do well, so you might look around nearby water and see what grows there. If anything looks interesting, try to identify it, or grab some leaves and ask the nursery to identify it.

Reaction score
Hey i live in saskatchewan and the only plant i have had any luck with is the natural ones the you would find in a pond around your area. the rest die, this year i pulled some of the more expensive ones and put them in the garage so i'll see what happends in spring

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello, you saying that even perennials die off over winter? I would like to get some natural plants also.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Bumping this thread up. Anyone in Alberta that have some good ideas for in and out of pond areas?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
lol don't tell fishylove it's been a year and have found no one yet :disappointed_anim:

Ask a Question